.3. ɪɴ ᴡʜɪᴄʜ ᴀ ɢᴀᴍᴇ ɪs ᴘʟᴀʏᴇᴅ

No sooner had the last guests left that Taehyung turned around to face his friend. "Don't you have some thief to catch or some crime to solve?"

"It's been quiet lately."

"Oh. So you're bored and that's why you're still here."

"I'm not bored—"

Jungkook thought he had made his reason for being here quite clear, but perhaps, the feeling was not mutual. "If you'd like me to leave, just say so," he said, raising an eyebrow and pointing at the door, waiting for confirmation that he was, in fact, overstaying his welcome here.

If he knew his childhood friend at all, he believed Taehyung had missed him just as much, even though he—for some yet mysterious reason—was not willing to admit it. The other's response thus came as no surprise. "What if I'd ask you to stay, would you stay the night?"

"Gladly."

They exchanged a smile. Perhaps they would get a chance to catch up on all these years that had kept them apart. Taehyung rang a bell and a tall butler entered soon after. "Claude, do we have a room for our guest?"

"I shall have it ready shortly, my lord."

"And also, dinner for two."

"Where should we serve dinner, my lord?"

"In my room."

Jungkook gulped. As Claude left, he said half-jokingly, "aren't you rushing things a bit?"

Taehyung tried his best not to burst out laughing. He casually turned his back and began walking down the hallway. "I have no idea what you're talking about. I have dinner in my room at least three times a week," he replied in his most innocent tone.

But Jungkook wasn't about to let his host have the last word. He followed Taehyung as the other veered into a narrow passage, heading toward what looked like a more confidential wing of the castle. "Am I to understand I shall eat by myself then?"

"You may have dinner with me. That is—if you find the way to my chamber," added Taehyung with a smirk. And suddenly, the hallway went dark.

Jungkook had been quite aware of the time, counting the moments until the last one of the guests would leave so he could enjoy Taehyung's company by himself. He knew the sun had set about an hour ago. But Lord Arenes had had electric lights installed in all the rooms and corridors, turning the ancient home into a rather modern dwelling. This perhaps contributed to the tardy departure of the mourners, who hadn't realized how late it was given the brightly lit abide.

Yet with the flick of a switch, his friend had plunged this side of the vast mansion into total darkness.

Jungkook sensed some shuffling behind his back, and felt a cold breeze hit his face. A door—or a window—had been opened somewhere. "So that's the game you want to play."

A distant chuckle was heard.

"You know I always catch you!"

"We'll see about that!"

Taehyung's voice echoed all around. It was impossible to pinpoint where it was coming from. Jungkook could have easily stepped backwards and found his way back to the lobby, and then wait for Claude to bring the dinner platers. But where was the fun in that? He settled for the nocturne exploration of his friend's home, confident in his ability to trace a mental map of the place by simply navigating through its hallways.

He let his eyes get used to the dark and placed his hand on the wall, caressing it as he started roaming. The wall ended. Jungkook decided to adopt the labyrinth strategy: choose a side, left or right, and stick to it. He turned right. His fingers came in contact with something smooth and brassy. Perhaps a button, or a switch of sorts. He pressed it, instantly lighting up the whole place. "Well, that was easy."

Except somewhere, someone flicked the lights off again.

"Hey! What are the rules of this game?"

Another chuckle. "There are none!"

Still unable to pinpoint Taehyung's location, the young detective opted for further exploration.

A door. Locked.

He said there are no rules.

Jungkook pulled a small tool out of the inside pocket of his jacket. Click. The latch didn't resist. The young man's heart started racing. Was he taking advantage of Taehyung's welcome? He paused, trying to regulate his pulse and set his mind straight. But somehow, he couldn't. Standing in the middle of what resembled a workshop of sorts, with working tables in all four corners and machinery everywhere, he felt like a thief.

A light flicked on.

Jungkook swiftly turned around. His friend was staring at him from the doorsill, an unreadable expression on his face. At that moment, Jungkook was unable to suppress the guilt that had built up inside his stomach.

"Weren't you supposed to look for my room?" asked Taehyung with a sharpness in his tone.

"You said no rules."

Taehyung moved closer, eyes squinting. "Or are you searching for something else?"

"Perhaps."

The other took another step forward. "Do tell."

"I was possibly hunting for clues as to the kind of person you've become. What are your hobbies? How do you spend your days? Do you have someone—in your life?"

Taehyung was now standing in front of the intruder, his face inches away from Jungkook's, still lacking any expression whatsoever. "I believe you said it was I who was rushing things."

Jungkook blushed. He hadn't meant for his comment to be so bluntly flirty. "Scotland Yard's files aren't always very exhaustive."

"Is that your current assignment? Updating my file?"

Taehyung suddenly felt a grip around his wrist. "Caught ya.'"

The young lord smirked, leaning forward. As his lips brushed Jungkook's left cheek, the latter gasped and let go of the other's arm, effectively losing the prize that was Taehyung by allowing him to escape. The room was plunged into darkness once again, and a giggle was heard. "Why did you let me go?"

Jungkook didn't have to think long before replying. "So I can catch you once more!"

Wattpad fanfic writers write for free, but one way you can show your appreciation for their hard work is to vote!

Thank you for reading ~♡