Part One

"come on whip something out for us to keep us entertained" I hear someone shout from across the room, I roll my eyes and continue playing my song, these old men have no fucking morals. And I am more then certain that most of them are married with wives and children at home.

Also I don't get what they get out of me just standing up here singing since all I'm wearing is black jeans, black docs, a bloody nirvana oversized shirt and my leather jacket, fucking weirdos need to go to a strip club if they want to see someone whip something out, I'll whip my damn foot out up their asses if they don't stop.

"by the colours like they forgot to read"

I sing into the microphone looking to the back of the room to see some tall guy walking in, regardless of the shouts from the men in front of me, this bar will always be the best place I ever decided to come work for, it's my evening job and the only place that will take me on as a performer and not a fucking 'hot girl behind the bar' which is what I've been told by a lot of creepy managers.

The manager, Amy here is a lovely lady maybe in her late 30s, you wouldn't think she's in her 30s though she looks like she could be the same age as me, she makes me feel welcome and not like a sex symbol for the men that come here to drink, she completely understands what I go through when some of the men start to sexualise me and a lot of the time if they get too much I'll give her a look and she'll boot them out.

I don't work here all the time only 4 nights a week, I work in a café not far from here which is 5 mornings a week, I've worked there since I was 15 years old and I'm now 21 so its been a while, it's a good thing I like working there since the manager is a dick, he's hardly ever at work and only ever shows up maybe once every 2 weeks to come 'check on us' but then leaves 10 minutes later, hell for all he knows we might be burning the place down.

"you're up I'm down, you're blind I see"

I continue singing over the sound of men laughing and joking around with their friends, don't get me wrong I do love working here but I really wish I was appreciated more by the customers, it's not like they pay to see me sing but it would be nice to have someone just watch and admire my singing for once the only person that does is Gen, she's been my number one supporter for years now and was the reason I ever tried to find a performing job at a bar.

I'm not saying she made me do this but she definitely made me, I'm happy she did though because before this I couldn't of ever even imagined performing in front of more then 1 person!

My first shift here was nerve racking but it felt amazing performing for people even if it is for older men that comment on my body any chance that they get.

"Well, my boyfriend's in a band
He plays guitar while I sing Lou Reed
I've got feathers in my hair
I get down to Beat poetry
And my jazz collection's rare
I can play most anything
I'm a Brooklyn baby"

I look up from my mic and lock eyes with a long-haired guy similar age to me or maybe a bit older I'm guessing, he takes a sip from his whiskey cup with his ringed fingers wrapped around it while observing my face as I'm observing his, I can spot his emerald green eyes from a mile away as they burn into my hazel ones, my cheeks burning at the eye contact.

"I'm a Brooklyn Baby"

I let out in a huff, he doesn't break eye contact with me until I bring my eyes back to the back of the room to concentrate on finishing my song, my eyes lock with the clock on the wall at the back its nearly closing time which means I need to leave soon.