Chapter 17

Her flight to Italy would leave in a few hours, and she'd had somewhat a full night's sleep, even if she had woken up multiple times. Derek had been at the hospital overnight, even though he'd still tried to get out of it to stay with her. She thought it'd be easier this way, easier for him, easier for her. They'd said goodbye Saturday morning before he'd left for the hospital, and that was that. She'd see him whenever she returned to Seattle, and he probably would have moved on by then.

She kicked off her blankets, yawning as she forced herself out of the bed. She hadn't even finished packing yet, and she'd probably need to leave in the few hours to get through security and be on time for her flight. Her intercom buzzed, and she frowned, not expecting anyone to come over. She'd drank with Cristina at the bar last night, so it wouldn't be Cristina.

"Hello?" she asked, pressing the button for the intercom.

"I have coffee," she heard Derek's voice over the speaker.

"What... I..." her frown deepened as she buzzed him in, "Come up, I guess."

Having had fallen asleep in her bra and panties, she grabbed her robe and pulled it on before going to open her front door, still frowning as the elevator opened. He walked toward her, grinning as he held two cups of coffee and a paper bag.

"Good morning," he greeted her, quickly pressing his lips to hers as he walked past her and into the kitchen.

"Good morning..." she closed the door, still in complete confusion as she followed him into the kitchen, "What are you doing here?"

"You have a long flight ahead of you, so I brought coffee," he said as he passed her one of the take out cups, "You didn't think I'd leave without a goodbye now, did you?"

"We said goodbye on Saturday morning before you went to the hospital, I mean I thought you'd still be there now," she took a sip of her coffee, one arm around her middle as she leaned back against the counter, watching him out bagels on to plates.

"You're going away for at least two weeks and you thought that was the goodbye?" he chuckled softly, "Come on, breakfast in bed."

An incredulous laugh escaped her lips as she followed him through into the bedroom where he was taking the bagels, and he kicked off his shoes before sitting on the bed. She moved to sit cross legged beside him, still holding her coffee.

"Why do you have that look on your face?" he asked, balancing the plate of bagels on his knee before taking her coffee from her to place on the bedside table.

"What look?" she asked as she picked up half a bagel.

"The very confused look," he said as he did the same.

"Probably because I'm confused," she laughed slightly as she took a bite.

"I figured I'd give you a ride to the airport, that's something that people who are dating do," he pointed out, nudging her gently.

"Is it? That sounds like more of a serious relationship thing to do," she grinned slightly, covering her mouth as she ate more of the bagel.

"It's definitely something that friends do," he nodded, eating his own.

"Friends... who are dating?" she raised an eyebrow at him.

"Exactly," he grinned at her, his free arm moving around her waist.

"You're also far too happy after a night shift," she shook her head as she leaned against him.

"I had a successful surgery, made me feel optimistic," he released a happy sigh as he pressed a kiss against her temple.