Outtake: Meeting Derek's Parents

As I was writing the sequel, I realised I had meant to add this scene in, so here it is as an early Christmas present! Enjoy :) 

****

"I've spoken in front of thousands of people before, why am I so nervous about meeting your parents?" Meredith groaned, stood in front of the full-length mirror, pulling at and smoothing out her blouse.

"You really don't need to be nervous," Derek chuckled, moving to stand behind her, his arms moved around her, and he took her hands in his. "From the glowing review Maddie gives you every time she sees them, they love you already."

"But they haven't actually met me," she leant back against him, her head against his shoulder. "What if they don't like me and think I'm totally wrong for you and Maddie?"

"Meredith, they are going to love you," he sighed, and hugged her against him, kissing the side of her forehead.

"You say that, but you don't know that," she muttered, and closed her eyes as his head dipped to kiss her neck.

"I do know that, because you make me happy, and that means they'll love you," he chuckled.

"Fine," she groaned. "I hope Maddie hasn't been overexaggerating your mom's cooking skills."

"She really hasn't, honestly. Best food, hands down."

"Daddy! Mer! I'm ready!" Maddie came bounding down the hallway, and Derek took a step back from Meredith, as per their agreement, or more like Meredith's insistence, that they keep touching to a minimum around her. "Did my hair too!"

Meredith turned to look at her, grinning wide when she saw that Maddie had brushed her own hair, and pushed it back with a headband the same dark blue as her dress. "You look beautiful, Maddie."

"Mer! Your top is same colour as my dress!" Maddie gasped, and then giggled as she came towards them both. "Daddy, you're not ready!"

Maddie was right. Derek only had his shirt and trousers on and was not as ready as Meredith and Maddie were to go. Meredith laughed softly, shaking her head at him.

"I'm getting ready now, Princess," he chuckled. "Meredith is right, you look beautiful."

"Thanks Daddy," she giggled again with a blush. "Mer, can you help with shoes?"

"Of course I can, let's leave daddy to finish getting ready," she laughed and lifted Maddie up on to her hip. She glanced back at Derek with an amused grin, "Hurry up."

****

They stood at the door to Derek's parent's house. Maddie had impatiently rung the doorbell, which gave Meredith no final minute to prepare to meet Derek's parents. Her fingers thrummed against her thigh as she waited and chewed on her lip. Derek's hand found hers with a gentle squeeze of encouragement.

The door opened, and Meredith was taken aback in surprise, and shcok. Before the woman stood in front of her, or herself could acknowledge one another, Maddie had run right into Derek's mother's legs, hugging her tight.

"Granny!" She giggled, looking up at the older woman. "We bring Mer to see you."

"I can see that, little one," the woman chuckled. Her eyes settled on Meredith, crinkled at the edges, but looked exactly the same as when Meredith had last seen her, just over three years ago. "Meredith Grey."

"Carolyn," Meredith breathed, and her hand slipped out of Derek's. She could feel his questioning gaze on them, but she couldn't find the words to explain, not right now.