Chapter 36

Her head throbbed, her eyes were sore, and her throat felt like sandpaper. She was pretty sure she hadn't drunk that much wine last night, but then again, she had apparently fallen asleep on the sofa.

She groaned slightly as she turned against the cushions, clutching the blanket draped over her closer against her chest as she did so. More sleep would be great right now, but something was making a noise and she wasn't sure what it was. She tried to block it out for a moment, squeezing her eyes tighter shut, but the clear sound of Derek's voice had her sitting up in an instant.

Everything came rushing back to her. The talk with Brian. The nursery. Calling Derek. Spilling everything out to him in a blubbering mess as he held her, not speaking but staying there. She must've fallen asleep here. She really hadn't meant to do that.

"Mer?" his voice was softer, closer to her and she turned her head, seeing him stood in the doorway. She swallowed, pressing her lips together as she blinked a few times. His hair was unsettled, missed up from sleep, and he only wore flannel pyjama pants that hung low on his hips. She couldn't help but appreciate how utterly gorgeous he looked. She shook the thought out of her head. It was inappropriate.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to fall asleep, or even come here, I can go," she rambled, her voice sounding slightly scratchy as she started to gather herself, moving the blanket to one side.

He simply chucked with a shake of his head as he approached, taking the blanket as he sat down beside her. His hand found her shoulder, gently rubbing his thumb as he spoke.

"Nothing to apologise for, I just thought it might be best you woke before Maddie did," his grin widened slightly as he spoke of his daughter, "it's just gone eight, so she's bound to be up any minute."

"Oh, Crap, do you need me to go? I can call a cab," she said as a yawn escaped her mouth. She wanted to lean into his touch, but she didn't at the same time. Her head felt like a complete mess.

"You don't have to go," he said as his hand dropped to her thigh, "Unless you want to, Maddie doesn't need to know you slept here."

"I'll need a change of clothes before we go on our walk, it's probably best if I head home now to change and then meet you there, like we planned?" she looked up at him with a small smile.

She didn't want to leave, and she didn't want him to move his hand from where it rested on her leg. She wanted to stay here, in this moment with him.

"Are you sure you don't want a coffee or anything before you go?" he offered.

"Thanks, but, no, I should probably get going," she reached for her mobile say on the table, ignoring the few missed calls and messages on there as she ordered herself a taxi.

"Okay, we'll see you in a while anyway," he gave her a small grin as he gently squeezed her thigh, "Just call if you need anything, okay?"

"I will," she returned his grin before standing up and gathering her things, "And, I'm sorry for turning up like that last night."

"Don't apologise; I'm here whenever you need me."

****

"There was dinosaur and chick'n and they was best friend, Mer!" Maddie recalled with a gasp, her hand covering her mouth.

"That does sound like a silly dream," Meredith said with a soft laugh, swinging her arm slightly as Maddie's other hand grasped hers on their walk.

She'd met them there only ten minutes ago, and Maddie had run straight to her, instantly reeling off her dream from the previous night. Meredith had only been able to offer Derek a quick hello when Maddie had taken her hand and they started walking through the trees.