Chapter 46

Meredith had been looking forward to being back in Seattle, and that was an entirely new experience for her. She'd even managed to get an earlier flight, and fully intended on surprising Derek in work. She'd checked the OR board, finding he should be almost finished with a craniotomy.

She made her way up to the gallery, stopping short in the hallway as she heard familiar sniffles coming from the room. She couldn't quite place why they were familiar sounds, and she approached the room slowly, not wanting to intrude.

Her breath caught as she saw Maddie sat in the front row of chairs, hugging her knees against her body. She walked slowly toward her, sitting in the chair beside her. "Maddie, what are you doing in here?"

"Mer!" She gasped in surprise, looking caught out with wide eyes, but also with tears streaking down her red cheeks. Her arms reached out to her as her face scrunched, ready for new sobs.

"I'm here." Meredith frowned as she lifted Maddie into her lap, brushing her hair back from her face. "What are you doing in here, Princess? You should be in day care."

"Need daddy." Her voice came out in a gasp between sobs, and she buried her face against Meredith's chest, her hands gripping on to her jacket. Meredith held her tighter, pressing a kiss against the top of her head.

"Daddy's working, Princess." Meredith began to rock her side to side gently, running her fingers through Maddie's brown curls. "You can't be in here, baby girl."

"Need daddy!" Maddie seemed to sob harder, her small frame shaking in Meredith's hold.

Meredith hushed her softly, rubbing her back as she tried to calm her, hugging her close against her. She couldn't even begin to imagine what had upset Maddie so much that she had felt the need to come and track Derek down in the middle of the afternoon. As far as she was aware, Maddie hadn't done anything like this before, it was completely out of character for her.

"What happened, Maddie? What's made you so upset?" Meredith tried, speaking softly as Maddie's sobs became quieter, small hiccups jolting her body.

Maddie shook her head, clutching Meredith's jacket tighter as her face moved to bury against her neck. Meredith held her closer, her arms wrapped tight, but gentle, around her body. She needed to at least get her out of the gallery. She was surprised no one from daycare was looking for her.

"Let's go to daddy's office and wait for him there." She spoke in a soft murmur, standing and carrying Maddie.

She walked up to the glass overlooking the surgery below, Maddie still hiding against her. She looked to where Derek was still fully concentrating on the surgery in front of him. From what she could see, he would be done in no more than an hour, there was no need to interrupt him or panic him now. She could look after Maddie. She left the gallery, making her way through the hospital to his office. She was glad he'd given her this key now.

She successfully managed to get both her and Maddie into the office, not needing to let go of the young girl once. She locked the door behind them and lay on the couch with her back propped up against the arm, Maddie still against her chest.

"This is better." Meredith pressed a kiss against the side of Maddie's head as she kicked her shoes off, and then reached to remove Maddie's. "How can I make you feel better, princess?"

"Cuddles, bear cuddles." Maddie murmured, looking up at Meredith. Her face was still red, sticky with tears and snot.

Meredith glanced over to the coffee table where a pack of wipes lay and reached over for them. "Let's clean you up a little and then you can show me what bear cuddles are, because those sound amazing."