Chapter 47

"How would you like me to do your hair, princess?" Meredith asked, gently guiding the hairbrush through Maddie's curl as she sat in her lap on the couch. Cartoons played on the TV, keeping Maddie entertained.

They'd picked up plenty of treats from the shop, and Maddie was currently eating a bowl of popcorn that she'd had plenty of fun watching pop in the microwave. "Hmmm." She looked up at Meredith. "What d'you think?"

"I was thinking I could put your hair into two plaits." Meredith suggested, stealing a handful of popcorn.

"Tasty?" Maddie giggled, grinning wide.

"Very tasty." Meredith laughed.

She parted Maddie's hair, setting the brush down as she started to manipulate her curls into plaits. Maddie stayed still, which Meredith was entirely grateful for. Maddie giggled at the cartoon on the television as Meredith continued to plait each side of her hair.

"Is this your favourite show?" Meredith asked, indicating toward the laughing sponge on the show.

"Yes! Love SpongeBob, me and daddy watch all the time."

"Does Daddy love SpongeBob?" Meredith put hair ties at the end of the plaits, touching a kiss against the back of Maddie's head. "All done."

"Yeah, Daddy always laugh." Maddie giggled, turning to look up at Meredith. "Wanna see!"

"Come on then." Meredith picked her up, setting her on her feet. "We can go and look in the mirror in my bedroom."

Maddie ran ahead down the hallway. "Which one?"

Meredith followed behind her, her breath catching as Maddie approached the door to the nursery. She shook her head.

"Not that one, Princess, the other one." She motioned toward the opposite door that was partially open, leading to her bedroom.

"Oh!" Maddie grinned, completely innocent as she turned, her plaits swinging.

Meredith followed her into the bedroom. Maddie looked around the room, spinning slowly on the spot, taking it in.

"Like your bedroom. You have a big bed like Daddy!" Maddie nodded.

Meredith could see from Maddie's body language she wanted to go and sit on the bed but was holding herself back. Meredith smiled, lifting her up unto the bed and standing her in the centre, facing the mirrored doors of her wardrobe. Meredith kneeled behind her, holding her up so she didn't fall.

"Do you like your hair, princess?" Meredith asked, grinning at her in the reflection.

Maddie's fingers lifted to run over the plaits, a grin spread across her lips. "So pretty."

"I should teach Daddy how to do your hair like this, shouldn't I?"

"I like when you do it." Maddie turned, her arms going around Meredith's neck.

"I like doing it for you, but you know I go away sometimes so I won't be able to do it." Her hand rubbed Maddie's back, kissing the side of her head.

"Why go away?" Maddie asked, climbing into her lap as Meredith sat back on the bed with her.

"I go away for work, I go to lots and lots of different hospitals all over the world to help sick people get better." She tried to explain, holding Maddie close.

"But you always come back?" Maddie looked up at her.

"I will always come back." She smiled at her, hugging her close.