5.

Chapter Five

September 4th, 1943

September 4th, 1943

    Cerys looked over the dark corridor, squinting her eyes in order to see better. Empty. Carefully looking behind her, she took the turn. The book in her pocket weighed heavy, despite its tiny size. She just needed to get to the wall, and she'd be safe. Currently, Cerys was on the seventh floor, not far from where the Room if Requirement should be.

    After having chosen her classes and getting her schedule, to which she wasn't surprised they were all advanced, all Cerys could do was wait for this very moment. The day couldn't have gone by slower for her, the hours creeping by like an animal hunting its prey, as though mocking her. The second the clock struck ten, Cerys had made her way out of the common room. Thankfully, all the paintings were asleep, along with the students. She made sure all the prefects, who had finished their duties, had gone to their dormitories. Or so, she thought...

Clup

Clup

Clup

    The witch almost froze in her spot at the echoing sound of boots, thankfully, her instincts drove her to a small hallway. Her breath's were shallow as she pressed herself harder against the wall, movement clearly being heard with the footsteps. Gradually, Cerys inches against the wall, father and farther away from where she came from, towards a suit of armour that stood in between a round bend in the wall. Every second seemed to pass by like an hour, her soft steps moving in the same slow pace to avoid making any noise that could draw attention.

   A silent sigh of relief left her mouth when she reached the suit of armour. She slithered behind it just in time to see the shadow of a boy pass by the enterance of the hallway. The boy stopped just at the edge of the far wall of the opening, as though sensing the presence of someone. Narrowing her eyes, Cerys tried to decipher who it was. Tall and dark haired, but she couldn't see the boy's face.

    Looking around, the boy seemed to be looking for someone, and Cerys was sure it was her. The boy's eyes cast to the corridor beside him, shoving his hands into the pocket of his uniform. The boy almost stepped into the hallway, but stopping mid step.  Cerys, by now, had moved much farther behind the suit of armour, pushing herself against the wall in such a way that the curved wall obstructed her view.

    Holding her breath, Cerys listened for any sort of movement, her wand now in her hand. If she needed to obliviate anyone, she wouldn't hesitate to. Just as she thought she'd have to obliviate who ever, other than her, was awake at this time, the footsteps soon began to fade away, disappearing into the darkness of the halls.

Cerys let out a sigh, but she didn't move from her place. Not yet. She would wait until she felt the coast was clear. The seconds ticked by slowly, the ringing silence in the hall allowing Cerys to hear her deep breaths. Once she felt as though a good five minutes passed, Cerys slipped out of her hiding spot, looking at her surroundings. Creeping towards the end of the corridor, she peered over the corner of the hall. No one, yet.