31.

Chapter Thirty One

December 13th, 1946

December 13th, 1946

    Alphard Black sighed as he placed his chin in his hand, aimlessly gazing down at the unfinished homework on the table before him. The library was quiet, much too quiet for his liking, and it did nothing to distract him from his worries. Flipping the page of the book, despite not having read any of the context, he let out a sigh.

   "What's wrong with you?" Alphard looked up to see one of his friends; Cerys. A frown adorned her lips as she sat down in front of him, questioning eyes settled on his own.

   Alphard simply shrugged in response.

    "You look worried." Alphard shrugged again. Cerys looked at him, perplexed. It was an odd sight to see Alphard Black so gloomy.

"Want to talk about it?"

Alphard sighed, taking off his glasses and rubbing his face. "Who do you think could've done it?" He asked. He sounded tired and weary.

Cerys didn't answer. She glanced down at her necklace; she didn't think, she knew, but it wasn't like she could tell anyone. "It could be anyone." She said.

Alphard smiled a bitter smile. "It could be me, or you, or Bulstrode." He said, and although he wasn't serious, there was also no humour in his voice either. This was the first time anyone had ever seen him so... serious. It was concerning. "You know, I usually enjoy the holidays, but now, I have to go home, don't I?"

Cerys' lips formed into a small 'o' shape. It was only now that she understood what was wrong. Alphard didn't want to go home, and the witch couldn't blame him. The Black family was as snobbish as they could get, and they took pride over it. Although they occupied a high position in society, the treatment of their children was far from good.

"Want to run away with me?"

Cerys blinked profoundly. "What?"

"You heard me. Want to run away with me?" He asked, seeming all to serious.

"Wait, you're serious?"

"I mean, no offence, we have no place to go to, do we?" Alphard retorted. In most circumstances, it would be a playful conversation, but in that moment, he looked as though he was really planning to run away.

"And where would we go?"

Alphard shrugged. "France?"