43.

Chapter Forty Three

January 1st, 1947

He was ignoring her. That was the number one thing Cerys noticed as herself and her friends boarded Hogwarts Express. He didn't even look her her despite having bumped into her on her way from the girls changing room. He didn't even stop, he kept going, not sparing her a single glance. Standing in the middle of the narrow pathway, she frowned as she watched him walked ahead of her. What was wrong with him? Shaking her head, she kept going, watching him slip into the booth just across from her own. What a coincidence.

"Oh, there you are." Alphard said, wrapping his arm around her shoulder once she sat down. Cerys gazed up at Fabula who looked more than awkward. It wasn't hard to realize why. Just across from them was the booth belonging to Riddle and his knights and Rosier sat right in their view. Noticing the tension, Alphard sighed, pulling down the blinds of the door.

"I'm sorry, Alphard—." Fabula began, feeling guilty about the awkward atmosphere in the booth.

"It's fine." He muttered. Alphard was not a quiet boy. He liked to be in cherry and alive environments where he could be himself, where he could make light of situations and tease his friends. In glum and gloomy mood like this, he had nothing to do and it dampened his mood further. He didn't know what to do and he knew joking about wouldn't seem appropriate.

Cerys looked frequently towards the closed blinds, her view to Riddle having been obstructed by the crème coloured fabric. She shook her head once more before turning to her silent friends. The tension was now suffocating. "Will you guys go to Hogsmeade this month?"

"And do what?" Alphard said. "There's barely anything fun there."

Fabula rolled her eyes. "Correction, there's barely anything with your idea of fun."

"You know, there should be a jokes shop or a prank shop in Hogsmeade. Where you can buy hexed objects to use on your friends."

Cerys felt her heart stutter. The Weasleys, she thought, and her eyes went back to the covered window of the booth. This was another one of those times she felt like she wasn't doing enough. Her mission wasn't to make friends, it was to stop Tom from turning in a cold blooded murdering maniac. The necklace felt heavier against her chest with guilt as she thought of it.

"Isn't that right, Cerys?" Alphard's words pulled her out of her thoughts.

"What?"

"Slughorn's a slimy git, isn't he?"

"No he's not." Fabula interceded. "You just don't study, that's why he doesn't like you."

Alphard scoffed. "Please, I tried. Potions just isn't my thing, but I've never seen him try to make it my thing. He doesn't even teach us. All he does is ask students questions about whatever potion we're gonna make to make people like me feel worse about themselves."