58.

Chapter Fifty Eight

February 15th, 1947

February 15th, 1947

     Cerys huffed as she sat on the fountain outside. Forty five minutes had passed, and Tom still hadn't come out yet. Guests had began to leave as well— having taken their tour of the mini museum known as Hepzibah's mansion. Hokey, thankfully, kept Cerys company as much as he could. He'd run off to serve a guest and then would return ten minutes later. He always seemed to mumble about forgetting where she was, despite the fact she hadn't moved for a good thirty minutes.

   "Hokey is sorry. Hokey forgets where madam is." Cerys cracked a small smile. "Does the madam want to see anything?"

    "No, thank you, Hokey. I'm just waiting for my friend." Hokey nodded solemnly at the ground, as though disappointed he couldn't do something for her. Cerys assumed this house elf was used to staying on his feet, most probably due to the various guests they had touring their mansion. Just as that thought came to mind, it was like someone flicked a switch. "Hokey."

   His head snapped up. "Yes, madam."

   "Is it true Hepzibah has Slytherin's locket?"

   Hokey frowned before he began to tap his head with his fingers. "Hokey— Hokey can not remem-remember, madam. Mistress has many poss—possessens."

   "How does she keep her possessions organized? Are important things kept elsewhere?" Hepzibah did have valuable and ancient objects laying around the house— but none of them compared in value to Slytherin's locket or Hufflepuff's cup. Maybe she wasn't as stupid as to leave such things out in the open. That's disappointing.

   "Mistress keeps very prized possessens in a room upstairs," Hokey said as he scratched his chin. "Hokey cannot remember which room."

   "Is the room locked?"

   "Yes, with old muggle lock and spells." He nodded. "Mistress gave Hokey key to unlock when cleaning. Key has spells."

She assumed what Hokey was trying to say was that the door was locked with a lock and various spells— which could only be opened by a key with anti-lock spells. It was smart, she had to admit. No one would be able to open it but her elf, and no one would assume a mere elf had the key.

     Cerys licked her lips. She didn't want to ask Hokey to take her there, it could raise suspicion, but if it didn't, she was sure Hokey would forget he even took her there. "Where do you keep the key? Don't you forget?"

    Hokey nodded, smiling a sheepish smile. "Yes, Hokey forget a lot, so mistress puts it here." The elf pulled a chain from underneath his poor excuse of clothes, revealing a rusted key.