39.

Chapter Thirty Nine

December 23, 2021

Tom's eyes darted back and forth around Cerys' face. What in Merlin's name was happening? He checked her temperature. She was burning up. Running a stressed hand through his hair, Tom lifted her into a seat position to pick her up when she started to convulse. Her eyebrows knitted together as though under great stress, her forehead growing damper as her lips parted to allow a pained sound leave her lips. Tom's eyes widened as white spread from her roots and trailed down slowly. The boy jumped when she let out a strangled gasp, opening her eyes to reveal black beads reflecting the world around her.

   Tom leaned back, face twisted in horror. Before he knew it, the witch morphed into a small creature that just about fit into his hand, feathery and soft. She had turned into a dove. The bird chirped, tilting her head as she gazed at Tom. How did he get so huge? Wait— did she—? Looking down at her form, she chirped again. She turned into her animagus? But why? She had her necklace on... unless...

The little dove's head snapped up to Tom, who was staring down at her curiously. Cerys chirped repeatedly, not caring whether Tom could understand her or not— it would probably be better if he didn't, though. Flying out of Tom's hand, she went to peck his head— that is, if only she knew how to fly properly. She glided back down to the ground like a paper, deterring here and there as she flapped her useless wings frantically.

Tom chuckled softly in amusement, taking Cerys into his hand. Her feathers were soft, unlike her fierce personality, black eyes staring into his own, and he could see her aggravation very clearly. Lifting his other hand, he gently ran a finger over her head, something she didn't seem to like very much and to which she responded by nipped at his hand with her pointed beak.

   "Hey! Ow! Knock it off." Tom said, examining his hand. She had enough strength to draw blood. "If you think I did something to your necklace, then you're wrong. I haven't touched it since I gave it to you. And before you ask—." He said, noticing the way Cerys cocked her head to the side in confusion. "It doesn't take a genius to realize your necklace had been suppressing your animagus."

Cerys chirped once more, as if to say she didn't believe him. It was funny how Tom knew her enough to know what she was saying even when she was speaking animal, quite literally. The boy rolled his eyes.

"Believe whatever you wish. I haven't done anything to it. Ow! Would you stop it!" Tom practically threw the dove off his hand as she began to bite into his hands once more. "And turn back."

With a huff, Cerys turned her back to him as she tried turning back to her human form. A blurry picture of herself formed in her mind. A chirp left her beak when a pang of pain hit her head. She tried once more, hoping she'd be back to her normal height with hands and feet, but to no avail. Her head was hit with another sharp pain.