63.

Chapter Sixty Three

February 24th, 1947

February 24th, 1947

Cerys leaned back into the wall, her throat tightening as her eyes darted back and forth between Grindelwald's eyes. Her lips were curled into a horrified expression, eyes glossing over as she begged the ground to swallow her whole and rid her of this suffocating feeling in her chest. What was she supposed to do now? What was she supposed to say? She couldn't deny it, the proof was there, not even Tom would believe her even if she begged him to.

Grindelwald quirked an eyebrow, the ghost of a smile still lingering on his lips as he straightened. "Not now? Oh, of course, you must still be tired. Anti-magic can be exhausting. How inconsiderate of me."

    The taunting tone still remained. He was completely unbothered by her lack of response, as if he knew he'd get his way sooner or later.

    Grindelwald glanced over at Tom, who stood with a clenched jaw and fingers curved into fists. "I'd expect you convince your friend here to make the right decision, I assure you, neither of you will like the consequences." The playful demeanour never ceased as Gillert practically threatened them. "Come along Grezelda, your... granddaughter? Great granddaughter?" Cerys made no move to correct him, her terrified eyes trained on the floor, and either way, she didn't know what the correct answer was. "... needs some time."

Grindelwald left the room in swift, elegant steps, the tail of his coat gently riding the air behind him. Cerys immediately turned to Tom, whose hateful gaze didn't go past her. Her lips parted. "Tom- I-"

"Leave it, Grahamm," he spat, his lips curled into a snarl. He shook his head before chuckling bitterly. "It was for me, wasn't it? It all makes sense." Cerys pulled her knees to her chest as she gripped her hair. "The prophecy... one born without love, the other without life." Another humorless laugh sounded. "I've to say, Grahamm, you've really outdone yourself this time. Not even I would have been able to guess."

Cerys grit her teeth as her hands tightened her hands around her hair. What had happened? How had this happened? Her hands slipped down to her mouth as she rocked back and forth. Tears rolled down her cheeks, teeth gnawing at her bottom lip to prevent herself from sobbing out loud. What was she going to do now? How was she going to fix this?

Tom, having grown annoyed, snatched her elbow, earning a yelp from the girl. "I'm speaking to you," he gritted. Cerys trembled under his scorching eyes, swallowing thickly as she stared back. "Well, what have you to say?"

"Does it even matter?" Cerys whispered, wrenching her arm out of Tom's grasp. 

    Yes. It does, Tom thought. Although he wouldn't admit it, he knew if Cerys said it just once, that Grindelwald was mistaken, or that it was all a lie, he'd believe it in a heartbeat. He just needed her to tell him once that it wasn't true. Cerys snatched her arm back, turning away from him.