48.

Chapter Forty Eight

February 5th, 1947

     Cerys had to admit, Crudith was very charming. Too charming. An hour had passed, and the occasional compliments and excuses to make her laugh were flattering, but Cerys was now wary. Sweat was beginning to form on her collar bone, just below her ever so increasingly warm necklace. A forced laugh left her lips as she fidgeted with her necklace, the joy in her eyes long gone and replaced with a growing regret. If it's too good to be true, you better believe it.

"Your necklace is very beautiful. Or maybe it's because whose wearing it..." Cerys' eyebrows raised above her head, her necklace grew warmer. Oh no. "Where did you get it?"

"I—I."

    "Grahamm?" Cerys raised her head to see Myrtle standing besides her and she breathed a breath of relief. "How are you? It's been a while."

   Cerys got up to hug the girl. "Get me out of here." She whispered before pulling back. "I'm doing great what about yourself?"

   "Lovely." Myrtle said. "Crudith. You don't mind if I steal Cerys from you?"

   Zamoir's smile fell. "Oh—I—."

   "Great! See you later!" The four eyed girl pulled Cerys along, raising a questioning eyebrow when she let out a deep sigh. "What's happened back there?"

   "He was being suspiciously nice."

Myrtle let out a confused laugh. "Everyone usually says that Zamoir is a gentleman. I've never heard him being described as suspiciously nice, though."

"There's just something off about him." Cerys muttered, toying with the jewel hanging from her neck.

"How do you know?"

"I just... felt it, you could say."

February 7th, 1947

"Tom..." Tom stirred in his sleep, turning to his side and allowing his hair to fall over his face. "Tom..." the voice giggled once more. He could picture her, even in his sleep, her eyes gleaming, her lips stretched out to reveal her enchanting smile, her cheeks dusted pink.

"Cerys..." Tom whispered, lips parting in dismay when he gazed around only to see a lush forest, glimmering in different shades of green. He heard her again, calling for him, luring him.