Who I once was.

Low-key the fandom's version of pregame Shuichi scares me-

Shuichi's POV:

I kissed my girlfriend goodbye at her door, dropping her off after a long day of just trying to relax...but even then...the air around me felt heavy...my chest ached and the feeling of unease and somber filled my brain...this familiar feeling of loosing someone that I knew time and time again embellished me once more...Ryoma was still gone...while I, nor most of us were close to him due to him preferring to being alone...he was still one of us, and he still had so much to live for now with a new opportunity...yet I felt something wrong...as if it wasn't his doing...I mean with Kaede's almost deadly incident and Ryoma's suicide...it wouldn't be right...?

Maybe I'm overreacting or...?

It feels as though...something is going to get all of us...

It couldn't be...we're all safe in the real world, we're away from the killing game.

But...it would be unwise for me to not act on this feeling of something wrong...

I'm a detective...and if I feel somethings wrong...then I should trust my gut instincts.

I will look into it soon, I should trust myself now...I promised I would be more confident in myself.

I walk back to my car before driving back, her house was only about 15 minutes away from mine so it wasn't far. I continued to drive till I pulled up into my driveway and spotted a familiar car...huh...it seems like my uncle came back home early...I parked next to his car before getting up, opening it before climbing out and shutting it behind me. I opened the door before stepping in, locking it behind me. My uncle was sitting at the couch, watching his favorite soap opera...he looked pretty tired admittedly, I could see him almost drifting off, he looked at my direction and almost jumped in surprise.

"Oh! Shuichi, you're back. How are you doin'?" My uncle called out as he turned to my direction, I smiled before hanging up my coat and taking off my wet shoes, "Oh it's been...not too great...remember my friend Ryoma I told you about...?" I asked him as I walked towards him sitting next to him on the couch, "Hm...Ryoma...Ryoma...oh! Isn't he your friend that just committed...?" He asked, his tone slightly shifted to a more quieter tone at the end, "Well yeah...I just attended his funeral today..." I replied somberly, "Oh...damn...poor guy...I wish him nothing but well in his afterlife..." he replied with a frown.

"Yeah...afterwards Kaede and I hung out together before I just dropped her off...I guess I just didn't want to be alone after that..." I continued as I fidgeted with my the ends of my shirt. "Yeah I get that...huh...it's strange you tell me that..." he commented. "What do you mean uncle...?" I asked him. "Well, you used to always like to be alone...you always used to just hide in your room watching that damn killing game for hours on end..." he replied looking over at me.

Memories slowly filled my head as I looked down at my lap...yeah...I was always alone pretty much...I preferred it that way, I wasn't really interested in anything else, I wouldn't even hang outside with my uncle or have really any friends, I wasn't interested in them...which is quite the opposite right now, without them...I wouldn't be who I am today...that and the killing game but I don't want to deal with that anymore, while I am grateful that it gave me all of my friends, it caused too much pain and suffering.

"Ah yeah...I was clearly obsessed with that show so much so that I even joined it...I'm sorry that I didn't spend time with you...truth is I liked detective work even before I had gotten into the show...and it was all because I really admired your work...that's why that detective named Kyoko Kirigiri was one of my favorite characters hah...thing is, I was always admiring your work and the fact that you're like a dad to me...especially since my parents...y'know...which made it better, but I was so caught up by myself that I just didn't come to talk to you despite you always there for me...I'm sorry I couldn't have been a better nephew...but I'll try my hardest to spend more time with you...and not spend as much time by myself anymore." I said gripping my shirt tightly, reaffirming my words at the end.

My uncle shifted a bit, seemingly surprised at the words I said, but a large grin soon replaced his dry lips along with a chuckle, leaning back onto the couch and pat my back. "There's nothing you need to apologize to me anymore...you weren't a bad kid...just that you were stuck inside all day in that room of yours...I cursed myself when you managed to sign up...I couldn't do anything since you managed to wait till you were 18 in order to sign yourself up for that show...but it did make a positive impact...you managed to have so many friends, you threw away every single piece of that merchandise you had along with any trace of that show, you started to talk to me more, and overall are so much more open and happy...it's a bit jarring to see you have changed so much but, you managed to stay as you once were just...even better..." he said grinning and picking up a mug filled with green tea and drank out of it, swallowing it before continuing.

"Well...when your parents passed away...it was so sudden...so devastating...my brother was a lot like you, just more serious...despite my brother and I being quite the opposite since I was a lot more enthusiastic haha...him and I were as close as we could be...when I lost him along with your mother in that car crash...I didn't know what I would do with myself...when I had to take care of you, I honestly panicked...I never taken care of a child for even a small amount of time let alone raise a single five year old...yet when I saw you crying holding your small teddy bear...I realized that I couldn't just give up and mope all day...I knew I had to take care of you...and every day...I realized that even in that horrible situation...I still had you to laugh at the way you would wobble around, to hug you whenever you cried, and to sing you to sleep whenever you had a nightmare...and that made me feel so thankful...even when we were both mourning..." he said with a chuckle.

I looked back up at him, nearly tearing up as I smiled and laughed slightly, remembering all of those memories of spending time with him when I was younger. "Watching you grow up was something I was barely even prepared for...and even when you first gotten into high school and started to lock yourself in your room all day, just seeing your face in the morning and sometimes whenever you would go get food...made me happy...when you came back from that killing game, it surprised me whenever you would talk to me often, talk all about your friends, ask me about my detective work, but I was just so happy to spend more quality time with you...just like when you were younger...You grew up into such a wonderful young man, and with or without that killing game, you'll always be like a son to me...and your parents would've been so proud of the man you had become." he continued with a large smile.

I wanted to cry, call me a wuss but to have someone so supportive with me such as my uncle...to hear that made me feel so happy, I wanted to curse my introverted self for making him feel lonely, but now I can redeem myself. I couldn't help but to give him a hug as he happily hugged me back with a squeeze, "Aww, don't get all sappy on me, I'm gonna cry." He commented. Him and I both laughed as we let go and talked a bit before I then turned to the TV, he seemed to love this show so much...why not watch it with him?

"So...what's this show about...?" I asked as I laid back on the couch, he turned to me enthusiastically, "It's pretty cheesy but it's so good! There's these two lovers, one of them is being chased down by these mafia members, but the twist is the other lover is part of the mafia and got with them so they could lure them into their trap, but they started to fall in love! It's really good, you have to watch it!" He commented like a child as he watched it. I nodded as I watched the show with him...enjoying this moment with my uncle.

Alright so chapter is out! I wanted to give more of a close relationship with his uncle and give a reason why his parents aren't there! I wished I could've included him a lot more and their established relationship but before I was going for a more less story driven story, this was all brought up randomly, but hey, better late then never. Have a wonderful day loves!