Fire and Brimstone

Human hearing ranges anywhere between 20 and 20,000 hz though it is possible for them to detect noises lower than that, even if they don't realize it. Due to the daily atrophy of the small cilia like cells that pick up soundwaves many humans have a range of hearing that is not quiet as large as the estimate above. Auditory decay from years and years of listening to loud music and machinery is possible along with a multitude of genetic hearing deficiencies, some major and some not ever discovered in life.

However sounds below this range and right at the cusp can still be detected by humans, as anything large enough or low enough to make that sound also has the ability to vibrate solid objects in a way that most other sounds usually don't.

The human might not be able to hear the sound but they can feel the vibrations which generally cause the body to vibrate in a vertical motion. These vibrations might also cause the eyes to vibrate and can result in hallucinations. Furthermore, as hearing the sounds are not detectable, but feeling them is, many human bodies react with a sense of anxiety, paranoia or even nausea.

These waves lower than human hearing have been coined as infrasound, and are often given off by major natural disasters like earthquakes, rockslides, and avalanches, which may be an evolutionary adaptation for humans. If there is soemthing big enough coming you way to make that sort of noise, than it probably pays to be paranoid.

***

They descended through a bank of orange fog.

The detectors on the front console of their shuttle began to light up as a detectable atmosphere came into view. Admiral Vir adjusted the course of his ship to slow as it entered, gently maneuvering them towards the distant, and unseeable ground below. Sunny sat just opposite of Krill while as small group of marines and scientists sat next to them

As usual these included Maverick, Ramirez, and Jackie, and, most recently, their microbiologist Yebb, with her shaved white fur and mohawk which went the length of her back. She had dyed it blue and purple this week , and one of her ears had recently been pierced, and now she wore a large golden ring. She had adapted to human culture far more quickly than krill, but that did not surprise him. The culture of her planet was more similar to humans than even the Drev on some occasions, and she was a rather curious soul anyway.

The craft jostled slightly, but Krill, for once, wasn't worried. Admiral Vir was the best pilot in the galaxy or close to it.

He could pilot a paper airplane through a hurricane.

Or so that's what everyone said.

Krill doubted that he was necessarily the best pilot in the galaxy and certainly knew he couldn't pilot a paper airplane any better, but he did enjoy the metaphor.

Their genealogist, and part time chemist, looked at the readout on the atmospheric indicator and frowned.

"What is it." Adam asked, glancing over his shoulder once before turning back to the controls. He could interpret the readout just fine after so many missions onto new planets, but that didn't mean he was an expert.

"High concentrations of sulfur in the clouds. There's plenty of oxygen and carbon too, but I wouldn't want to be breathing the stuff in."

"Probably smells like Ramirez's gym shorts." Maverick said

"Well stop snorting my gym shorts then." He shot back from across the isle."
"Hard not to when I can smell you from ten feet away."

The banter had begun, but this was usual for the marines in the minutes leading up to a mission. Krill had come to learn that it was actually a good sign. It was when the marines got quiet that you had to worry.