One Pride

"What's his/her name?"

"His name is Ka'Leen., but everyone calls him Kay"

"One Pride?"

"I thought about naming him Luke, just so you could have an easy dad joke when you got home, but I thought better of it."

Adam's knuckles were white, clutching the edge of the small bassinet like a man clinging to a cliff edge desperately hoping not to fall, "I.... Did you.... Did you know? The last time we...?" His voice was no more than a horse whisper.

Sunny was silent for a long moment, then he felt her arms wrap gently around his waist and chest, head resting atop his shoulder, "I....did."

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"Because, I didn't want you to worry. You needed to be focused, and I wasn't about to distract you."

"But I.... But I-"

"But you what? You couldn't have not done what you did. Things would have ended the same, but you would have felt guilty about it."

Adam turned to look at her, catching her upper hands in his, "But I DO feel guilty anyway. . I left you alone for two years to... to take care of a baby all on your own I.... I haven't even held him yet and you did that all by yourself just waiting for me/"

Sunny's face was mostly unlit in the quiet room, but light cast by the projected stars that floated around them, glowed as pinpricks in her eyes, "You think I was alone? " She laughed, "Adam, the only time I have been alone in the past two years is when I have politely asked to be. Krill was hardly about to let Kay go without nearly hourly examinations. If I weas less aggressive, I would have to fight to hold my own baby. If he's not with me he's with Hijan or your mother or your father, or one of your brothers, or Makers forbid he's with Ramirez. Besides, "She rested a hand on his shoulder, "For him it's only been a little over a year. We weren't sure at the time how long the gestation period was going to be for humans it's nine months, for Drev it can be around eleven. Kay was born at ten, and he's" She paused to think for a moment. "he's about a year and two months now."

Adam opened his mouth and the closed it again unable to find the words, feeling his chest constrict. He reeled thinking about it. Despite what Sunny said he couldn't help but imagine what the past two years had been like for her.

"I wasn't there for....."

Her eyes grew only slightly sad, "You know Adam I'm honestly ok you missed me being pregnant, and I didn't allow anyone to be there when he was born either." She paused when she saw the wide eyed look on his face.

"You didn't-"

"Give birth to him on the edge of a volcano, no, no I did not. It was here with Krill in the other room in case there was a problem, but I am not about to go and do that the way you humans do it. she made a face. People just looking at our unmentionables for hours on end sounds like the last thing I want to involve myself in."

Adam opened and closed his mouth again , still struggling desperately to find words, turned back to look at the little shape cuddled up in the darkness. The baby had so much hair, and he was, big, not necessarily unusually big, but very, very solid. It was too dark to make out much more.

Adam stepped back.

He had to sit down.

He found the rocking chair from his childhood home and rested his head in his hands rubbing at his temples. IN the dark, Sunny knelt down on the floor in front of him . he wasn't sure what to do, or how to react or... or anything, instead wrapping his arms around sunny who rested her head against his leg eyes closed, "I'm glad you're home."