Chapter 17: The King of The Warlocks

Art by thewildestdreams, link in comments

This chapter contains sexual content, be warned but enjoy! ;)

Lyra

(Song for this scene in the comments)

When I emerged from the portal I had made, my people behind me, the first thing that hit me was the smell.

Blood. Death. Decay.

The smell of war.

I felt dizzy, oh so dizzy, from the magic I had used to open the portal and bring the army Aelin had called for. Terrasen was on the verge of falling. We were the last drop of hope to save Orynth for the Valg. From my mother.

All kinds of warriors who hid from my mother, who I had kept so carefully concealed for her over the decades, centuries even, were here. 

Together. To fight one last time against her.

The Wolf tribe, they called themselves. Descendants of Brannon and my father. My friends. My family.
Luna at my left, in human form, Magnus at my right. My golden shadows hungry for blood.

One last time.

And before Maeve, already bloodied and wounded, stood the rest of my family. Fenrys was laying on the ground, unmoving, lifeless. Luna howled when she noticed the blond haired Fae broken on the battlefield. I turned and looked at my friend then, her face horrified. I gripped her arm and stopped her before she could run to Fenrys, before she would certainly end up the same way. Or even worse, dead as his brother.

She started to speak, not more than a whisper. "He is my mate." she breathed, her hands shaking.

I whipped my head at that revelation. How was that possible?

Fenrys and Luna had never met each other, since I kept her well hidden after my father died and the rebellion failed. She had then joined the Wolf tribe. Fenrys wasn't even born at that time.

"I- I need to go to him, I need to heal him." she pleaded, canines replacing her teeth out of anger for the male who was near death.

"He is alive. Stay here to keep it that way." I ordered, gently.

If we ruined the plan, all was for nothing. Even when it hurt me to not let her go to him, the memory of my own remorse of leaving my mate to die, hitting me in the gut. I know it took all Luna's self control not to go there, but she kept rooted to the ground. She was the strongest female I knew.

Lorcan and Rowan were standing next to Aelin, her golden armor glowing in the battle lights. The moment my mother saw us appear, the moment she noticed me, the promise of death I viewed in her eyes directed towards me, was enough to make my knees buckle. As if Luna felt Maeve's eyes on me and smelled my fear, she took my hand. Magnus seeing what she was doing, did the same. Imitating the trio that stood before Maeve.

My people were ready to charge for those filthy kharankui spiders, their swords and spears and wolves hungry for blood, but did nothing yet.

We waited. Waited for the signal. For them, we would go down. One last time.

It was only when Aelin let out a flare of light that a battlecry escaped over all of Orynth.

Home. I would bring these people home.

My mothers face going deathly pale was the only thing I saw before lifting my twin swords and turning to the enemy. Luna shifted and I felt Magnus' magic build up, both ready to kill their way to survival.