Chapter 6: Ashryver Eyes

** Art by Avvart on DeviantArt, link in comments**

Lyra

A few weeks had passed and I had almost died from boredom.

The only times I had been outside it was for small guarded tours in the city, that would of course not reveal too much information.

I didn't blame them.

I only briefly talked with Mor or Azriel since they didn't let me alone for one second. Azriel intrigued me in ways since he also had shadows. Frequently, I caught myself enjoying speaking with him. He was a very timid male but with such amazing humor that it was sometimes hard not to smile with his subtle jokes.

I was currently living in Mor's apartment called Athelwood, sleeping in the guestroom because Feyre didn't want me near her children or sisters. 

Well, I didn't blame her for that either.

The apartment was very modest and I didn't dare to admit that I felt more at home here than in Doranelle. The mountains, the music, the art and the people made this place like a dream. Court of Dreams was very fitting.

Stop. I couldn't get too attached to this place.

Yesterday, I overheard a conversation that Elaine, Feyre's sister, was visiting the city with her mate Lucien.

 Lucien. 

I wish I could see him, but that would make things much more complicated. Elaine, I had never met, but I guessed she must look a lot like her sisters.

To stay at least a little fit while staying here, I was doing some sit-ups in the living room, when I felt something.

A dark power rippled through me.

My shadows began moving faster than normal and started warning me.

"Valg." I whispered when shifting into my black fighting clothes.

Before my bodyguards could stop me, I was out of the door.

"Lyra! Damn it!" Azriel yelled after me, but I was already running.

I kept sprinting, following my shadows where they would lead me.

Go faster.

Faster.

GO.

Winnowing was of no use since I had no clue where the threat was. I vaguely noticed all of the Inner Circle members following me, with Azriel in the sky together with Cassian and Rhysand.

After a few miles I entered a forest while trying to find out where I was running to. I could sense I was close.... Very close...

I stopped dead when I saw it, a thing I thought I would never see again.

Skin as pale as death, black eyes. A parasite that took over a Fae body.

No, they should be dead. It couldn't be. We destroyed them...

Valg.

And in its arms, it held a young Fae female.

"I wouldn't come closer if I were you." The thing was hissing, not at me but at Rhysand who was much closer to the Valg than I was.

He didn't move.

"Good." the thing spit, holding Elaine's neck in his hands.

Well, I guessed it was Elaine, from the resemblance to her sisters.

He smelled her hair when he added: "This High Fae smells so, so good. She will be a loyal servant to my master."

The voice, it made the hairs on my arms rise. He had some sort of wand in his hands and with his long pale fingers he put the thing on Elaine's neck.