Chapter 1: The Queen of the Demi-Fae

**Art by Wlop on DeviantArt, link in comments **
**This chapter has a lot of info dumping, but is necessary for the people who haven't read SJM yet and to give you background info about  the new characters**

1270 years later...

I woke up with a terrible headache in a bed that wasn't mine. 

Again. 

Slowly opening an eye, I found a male sleeping next to me. A pretty face I didn't even remember but well, that wasn't unusual either. I carefully turned around with the intention not to wake the guy when I bumped into another body. 

"Fuck." I silently murmured while examining the female that lay beside me.

This must have been an interesting night. 

Her pretty brown curls were sprayed on the beige sheets, her pointy ears just visible. She definitely wasn't bad-looking but still nothing I hadn't seen before.

All Fae were pretty perfect for normal humans, but I actually liked the imperfect ones. Nobody was as beautiful as my mate had been but since I lost her 650 years ago, I could only try to find someone who could compete with her. 

Not that I was looking for a lover, or for anything in my life. I stopped wanting things after she died.

Since I couldn't climb out of bed without waking them up, I winnowed straight out of the unknown dark bedroom to my own in the palace I lived in. I was the half-blood daughter of the Queen of Doranelle, the Faerie Queen of the East. 

Not that anyone loved her ... Mostly everybody hated her.

Me included.

She was called the Queen of Death, because her power was death. 

Just like mine. But I had a few other powers, most of them I inherited from my demi-Fae father, others I developed when I spent years alone. I called them my shadows.

My only true friends.

Demi-Fae, being half Fae, half human, were not really accepted where I lived. Fae saw humans as weak creatures who were only good for serving as slaves. Luckily, there were Fae all over the world who saw mankind not as beasts but as equals. So for the last 600 years, slavery was forbidden. 

Unfortunately, my Court didn't think that way.

Here in Doranelle, humans were not welcome. Since they can't use them anymore, Fae were using halfbreeds, like me, to be their slaves. This was not the case in many other Courts, where humans, Fae, demi-Fae all live in peace.

In my 1278 years of existence I have visited many of those wonderful places and wished I could live there. But I was stuck here, for eternity, enslaved by my mother and her will. I was already planning on killing her ever since I was a child, but even I was not strong enough to kill the Demon Queen.

Light greeted me, so bright I hissed a little and needed to blink a few times. My giant room came into view, the familiar scent of books hitting me. The double floored room in Victorian style was located on the higher levels of the castle with a whole little library on one side and my big bed occupying the other. I had a little sitting area in the middle, giant windows on the right while a staircase decorated the left side of the room. 

Above, you would detect more bookcases and my walk- in closet and bathroom. Drawings I made filled the empty spots on the walls, their scent blending with the smell of the books I had collected over the years.

What could I say? I was a very spoiled slave.

I sighed when I spotted movement in my bedroom area. I wanted to be left alone, like all the damn time.