Chapter 2: Play With Fire

**Art by Yefumm on DeviantArt, link in comments**

"You called for me, Maeve?" I asked coldly while my shadows trailed my every step. 

I never called her mother to her face, she didn't deserve that. She looked at me like I was an annoying fly you swat away.

"I called for you an hour ago, Lyra. If you are ever late again, I will personally ensure you will never be able to go whoring again."

I looked at her, seemingly bored, even when I knew she was being serious. I totally ignored her, waiting for her to go on. 

My mother, who was wearing one of her typical red dresses, sat on a golden throne in the middle of the Throne Room. The victorian style, something we had the humans to thank for, was again showing in this room.

Two wolves lay at her feet, one of them was Luna, the other one was her mate Fenrys. Fenrys gave me a Maeve-is-in-a-bad-mood-look, stretching his paws on the floor. He was the only full-blooded Fae that was left of the original cadre that used to serve her. 

After the war, which was 150 years ago, they turned sides and they now serve Aelin Galathynius, the Faerie Queen of the West and Queen of Terrasen, whom my mother deeply hates and I love, of course.

Not that I see her often, Maeve has forbidden any of us to go to Terrasen and they didn't visit here, since my mother would surely kill them. 

Sweet little female, my mother. 

But I suppose I would see them at the meeting at the Summer Court.

"Luna informed you that we will go to Summer Court next week." I gave her a small nod before she continued speaking.

"I want you to spy on everyone and see who is the most powerful. I will arrange something with those Lords that you could go learn about their culture, get to know them to strengthen the bonds between our lands and all that nonsense. Nobody would play that role better than my own daughter." She declared with a sarcastic cruel look on her face, my shadows following her every move.

I could definitely read between the lines. I needed to find their weaknesses and report back, so she could play her little power games with them. Well, at least this means she will leave the Human Continent alone, for now.

"They say some of those courts are even more cruel than ours, so I want to see that for myself. If you put one step out of line, if you even think to try to work against me, just know that it will reflect badly on your friends who I will keep very close to me." Maeve threatened, her red lips forming into a sneer.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Adrian, the fourth and final member of the new cadre and my mother's dearest healer and fuckboy, lift an eyebrow at that statement.

"Where do we fit in in those plans, your Majesty?" he asked carefully.

He was the youngest of us all, barely 18 years old when my mother found him 50 years ago. He was a very attractive Demi-Fae with dark green eyes, dark brown hair and a smile every female would fall for. 

Pity my mother noticed that too. 

She didn't even turn her head to him when she answered: "We will all go to the meeting next week."

Happy to finally travel somewhere, Adrian nodded while looking at me with amusement in his eyes.

I took the silence as permission to leave the Throne Room and went looking for some food. The only comfort that could lift my horrible mood a little.