Chapter 9: Scars

** Art by Wlop on DeviantArt, link in comments **

**  Extra trigger warning: physical harm & torture **

Mor

That laugh. 

I never heard something more beautiful than that sound. The sadness from her child that she lost slowly fading away. After Lily painted my face, it was Feyre's and even Lyra's turn. Lily was extra careful not to hurt Lyra in the process, her bruises, that my damn father gave her, not so visible anymore. 

We all looked like a bunch of clowns. 

Lily went to sleep and when the males joined us, they laughed at us like fools.

"Illyrian bastards." Feyre said when she refilled her glass of wine and went to sit on Rhys' lap.

 "What's an Illyrian?" Lyra asked also with a glass of wine in her hand, the males looking angrily, not at her but at the big bruise on the left side of her face.

"Oh you don't know? We are a superior race of warrior Fae with bat-like wings. No High Fae, our ears less pointy and looking more like yours. Besides Rhysand of course, he always needs to be special."

I snorted: "Superior race? A bunch of pigs you mean."

That comment earned me a vulgar gesture from all three Illyrians.

Lyra listened carefully and asked my High Lord: "So you are High Fae but actually demi-Illyrian?" 

Rhys nodded and she went on: "Why are you called High Fae and not Lesser Fae like your people name it? I'm for more than 70 percent Fae but still we are labelled as half breeds, not even lesser Faeries. Fae spit at us like we are dirt and humans don't accept us. Even outside of Doranelle and your lands, we are no one's equal, not really belonging anywhere."

Everybody was quiet for a moment, not knowing what to say. She was right, of course, the world was so unfair.

"You are absolutely right. But don't think for a moment that my people didn't give me a hard time because I was part of the 'lesser' born. But I want to change the way we think. I want everyone to be equal and make my Court a place where everyone can feel safe. That is why we reached out to your kingdoms, to try to make a better world." Rhys answered and I was so proud of my cousin, the dreamer.

Lyra shook her head and said: "Then we first need to kill my ugly mother... But I hope you will succeed in this one day, Rhysand. You will make your people and mine proud."

"Why do you say it as if you will not be part of it?" I asked silently.

Lyra sighed. "She will not let me get away with it this time if she finds out." 

"Why does she hate you that much?" Feyre asked carefully while putting her head on Rhysand's shoulder.Lyra was quiet for a moment, thinking. 

"In the first place, I think she didn't want me. I was her mistake, her weakness. And then she wanted to make me into this small version of her, but when she saw that I was the opposite of her, loving everybody as equals..." She paused. 

"I think she wanted to break me so she could use me as her puppet. Since I was a child I did things that made her hate me even more. Running away with my dad, loving females, having a child with a half-Fae, rebelling against her..." Lyra breathed. 

"I'm not the person I was when I was younger. She really broke me. Maeve knows she has won so she lets me be for the moment. But she will not let me live after she finds out about this."