Chapter 7: Shadowsingers

** Art by Niru.sky on Instagram, link in comments **

Lyra

A week or two later, I was sitting on the couch in Mor's apartment covered by piles and piles of books. I was wearing black pants and an ochre yellow tin jumper, my long black and white hair hanging curly and loose over my shoulders, perfect for the September weather. Mor was sitting across from me with a book on her lap, her golden hair in a long braid, wearing a loose red shirt with black comfy pants. Between us was a table with our cups of tea, some more books and the black wand the Valg had with him.

Aelin had left soon after the discovery and had sent most of her books to us since her Court was full of Maeve's most trusted spies. Since I didn't even know who they were, it was safest to do the investigation here, in the Night Court. But she and the other Kings and Queens of the Human Continent had come together in a secret meeting to discuss how to deal with this problem, without Maeve knowing off it. 

Rhysand and the other High Lords had done the same thing here, because High Fae were starting to disappear. For now, we would try to find as much information as possible on how and why this was happening and also find a way to secure the borders from the Valg. The normal wards weren't working so no one was safe and people were starting to grow afraid.

I was staring at the wand, my shadows inspecting it and trying to figure out how the hell a Valg spirit could be in there when Mor said to me: "You should sleep, Lyra." 

I blinked at her with disbelief while she arched an eyebrow. We were definitely becoming friends over the last few weeks, but nobody needed to tell me what I needed to do.

Like she could read my mind she said: "I don't care that you are older than me or even stronger, you haven't slept in days. Even you don't look that good right now." 

I snorted and took a few sips of my tea. "You're saying I'm good looking then?" 

She dropped her book and laughed: "Very good looking." 

Feeling the corner of my mouth go up, I quickly downed the rest of my tea. I didn't know why I was doing this, but flirting with Mor was fun. Maybe I just missed my normal sexual activities from in Doranelle. I didn't even know if Mor liked women since no one ever insinuated anything like that.

"You will join me in bed then?" I asked boldly right at the moment the big bat named Cassian, together with Rhysand walked into the apartment. 

Cassian outright laughed: "Nice try Lyra, but Mor is not into women. She likes sexy males like me for example."

I rolled my eyes but didn't miss the blush that formed on Mor's face. 

Interesting. 

Taking everyone's attention off her, I questioned Rhysand: "Any news?" 

He put some books from the couch on the ground. "Two High Fae went missing last night from the Court of Nightmares. We are going there in a few hours to try to investigate it." 

Mor straightened and asked: "You want me to join you?"

Rhysand poured himself a cup of tea while instructing: "Yes, and Lyra, you will come as well. We don't know as much about all of this as you." 

I angled my head a little, my golden shadows lying lazily on the ground, remarking: "Finally you find some use for me High Lordy." 

Rhysand snorted. 

"You saved Elaine." Cassian stated.

Crossing my arms, I revealed: "I have known someone who was taken by a Valg Prince, he still wears marks in his soul even after 150 years. I don't wish that to happen to anyone, even if you all think I'm evil." I sighed and went on: "I will gladly be called a monster if I can protect the people I love from getting harmed. Well, the people that are left."