Chapter 5: Prequel Chapter 4

Disclaimer.

I don't own High School DxD, or any of the other copy right stuff that may be included in this story.

I don't make any money off of it and only write this for my own enjoyment.

If criticism of religion bothers you, please don't read this story. Also, why are you reading DxD, a story which makes heroes out of devils, if criticism of religion bothers you?

Sona was roused from her slumber by a gentle shake on her shoulder. Her face and pillow were stained with her tears. She wiped her eyes to clear them and saw Ambrose with his hand on her shoulder. His normally kind eyes looked quite sad.

"I've really put you through it, haven't I?" Ambrose said in an attempt to comfort her, "I know you just met me but I'd like to think that we could be friends. If you need to talk..."

"It's okay." She insisted, "I'm alright."

Ambrose's face grew more sorrowful.

Sona's then put her hand on top of his and gave it an encouraging squeeze. "But thank you", she added, genuinely touched by his concern for her.

Ambrose's smile had returned, "Dinner's ready."

"Would you mind giving me a moment to freshen up?" Sona asked.

Ambrose nodded in return. "I'll see you downstairs.", he said as he left her room.

Sona took a deep breath then slowly exhaled. To be honest, she felt a lot better after a cry and nap. She rose from the bed and went to the bathroom to wash her face. Sona then saw her reflection; her hair was a mess, her eyes were red and puffy, and the little black dress she was still wearing was wrinkled.

"A shower, would probably best." Sona thought, feeling slightly embarrassed that Ambrose had seen her in such a state.

The anxiety she felt earlier washed away as hot water sprayed down on her slim body. Sona was a firm believer that a clean body helped to keep a clean and clear mind. It's why she and her friend Rias often discussed important matters in her private sauna. Now that her body was clean she felt she could begin to look at the problem logically.

"The problem", Sona thought as she dried herself off with a fresh towel, "is that I still need more information."

She began to search the dresser and closets, looking for appropriate clothes as she continued her line of thought. "I should probably start by viewing the reports from my counterpart."

With her next step in mind she finished getting dressed and left her room to began to head downstairs. She hadn't really paid attention to her surroundings in the house before and began to take note of the rooms she passed on her way back down to the dining room. She was currently on the third floor of the house, an entire floor dedicated solely to two very large master bedrooms, the one which was assigned to her the other most likely belonged to Ambrose.

After watching her counterpart's video and confession as to the type of relationship Ambrose and her future self shared, she appreciated his unspoken gesture to allow her a separate room. While she did enjoy the "date" they had in the few private hours in his house, 500 years in the past, she felt she needed some time for the two to get to know each other. She did plan to honor the promise to her parents, to marry the man who defeated her in chess. Still the entire ordeal of losing a game and then immediately pushed into to a date left her feeling a bit overwhelmed. Now, it seemed that they had all the time in the world to get to know each other, so long as they stayed in the future.