Chapter 12: Season 1, Chapter 4

Disclaimer.

I don't own High School DxD, or any of the other copy right stuff that may be included in this story.

I don't make any money off of it and only write this for my own enjoyment.

If criticism of religion bothers you, please don't read this story. Also, why are you reading DxD, a story which makes heroes out of devils, if criticism of religion bothers you?

"Today is the day." Sona thought as she walked to school with her [Queen] Tsubaki.

Today was the last day, the last chance she and Ambrose had to find evidence that exposed Kokabiel's planned attack before it happened. Tonight Ambrose would raid the abandoned church and clear out all the Fallen Angels and exorcists. Afterwards there would be the arduous process of interviewing their souls in order to find a confession that would hopefully reveal Kokabiel's plan to steal Excalibur fragments and attempt to assassinate the two little sisters of the Maōs Leviathan and Lucifer.

Both peerages could feel that something big was going to happen, they knew that their safety was dependent on Ambrose's success. Only Sona and Ambrose knew the whole truth; this battle was only that, a battle. What they planned to do was to stop a war that was fated to happen before it ever began. The Great Celestial War that Kokabiel ignites would weaken all three factions and leave them vulnerable to the Khaos Brigade and Ophis, their true enemy. Sona and Ambrose both knew that their biggest chance to prevent that costly war and unite the three factions was to uncover Kokabiel's plot and force the three factions to work together to defeat him. It was their hope that the three factions would then continue to cooperate and later unite against the Khaos Brigade.

The group of Fallen Angels and exorcists in the abandoned church were Kokabiel's scouting party. If Ambrose failed to find the evidence they needed in order to get the Maōs involved, then then Ambrose, Sona, and the Sitri peerage were going to be left on their own when Kokabiel eventually attacked. Sona also knew there would be other Fallen Angels that would fight along side Kokabiel, so she continued to train her peerage for that eventual battle.

"But if we were forced to fight Kokabiel, perhaps we could have more help than just my peerage… Perhaps if I could figure out a way to get Rias out of her engagement..." Sona privately mused.

Sona hadn't forgotten that her friend Rias had a tragic fate in store for her. From the testimony of Sona's future self, Rias was due to marry Riser Phenix and suffer an ignoble end. The male members of her peerage would mysteriously disappear, her [Rook] Koneko would become a free piece, and both Rias and Akeno would disappear from public life. Sona could piece together what all that meant; Riser would murder Rias's male servants in order to use Rias's peerage as an extension of his own harem. In an effort to save the rest of her servants, Rias would release Koneko as a [Free Piece] but Akeno would be unwilling to abandon Rias and would choose to suffer alongside her.

While Rias's peerage was small and inexperienced, Sona believed that they might be able to provide some assistance when Kokabiel eventually attacked. Sona believed in Ambrose and knew that he could handle Kokabiel, but she did not want him to take on all the burdens on his own. She already felt guilty that they were forced to stay away during these skirmishes while Ambrose fought the Fallen Angel scouts in their stead. While the Maōs would be upset if the devils of Kuoh got into small fights with Fallen Angel foot soldiers, it would be a completely different matter when the devils had to fight for their lives when one of the leaders of the Grigori would eventually attack. If they were unable to find the evidence they needed and Kokabiel and his followers came to restart the war, Sona would make damn sure that her servants were prepared and that they would not suffer the same fate that her future-self had recounted.