Chapter 17: Season 1, Chapter 9

Disclaimer.

I don't own High School DxD, or any of the other copy right stuff that may be included in this story.

I don't make any money off of it and only write this for my own enjoyment.

If criticism of religion bothers you, please don't read this story. Also, why are you reading DxD, a story which makes heroes out of devils, if criticism of religion bothers you?

The students of Kuoh Academy held a relatively high opinion of Tomoe Meguri, despite her reputation as being the school's gossip. She was considered attractive with her reddish brown hair and light brown eyes, but her main attributes were her cheerful disposition and positive outlook on life.

Truthfully, she couldn't help being hyperactive and positive about everything in her life considering that she was cursed while still in her mother's womb. Despite her parents being notable exorcists, they were unable to protect their unborn daughter from harm from a vengeful evil spirit. And so when Tomoe was born, she was asleep. At first the doctor's feared she was stillborn; however, a slap to her infant bottom confirmed that she was, in fact, alive. She let out two tiny wails before promptly falling back to sleep, and that's how she spent her entire childhood; asleep. Her parents tried to keep her awake, but as time went on Tomoe's waking moments would happen less and less. She would eat and drink in her sleep, her parents would wash and bathe her while she slept. Everything happened around her while she slept.

It was a desolate existence.

All that changed when her parents made a deal with a devil in order to break the curse. After spending her entire childhood asleep, Tomoe awoke for the first time in years to the face of her [King], Sona Sitri. Unbeknownst to her, Tomoe's parents made a deal with a devil and in exchange for breaking the curse Sona had turned her into a devil herself, specifically a [Knight]. What followed afterwards was a difficult transition. Tomoe had been asleep nearly her entire life and now she was suddenly thrust into a state of wakefulness. There was so much for her to see, so much to experience, and most importantly so much to learn. In the beginning Tomoe could barely speak, having only heard snippets of words from her parents while she slept. She couldn't read, write, or even move that much due to muscle atrophy.

Her [King] took it upon herself, and her reputation as a future educator, to teach her everything she would need to be a fully functioning teenager who could enjoy life to the fullest. It was a long and difficult process, one that Sona couldn't do by herself. There were many teachers, as well as tutors such as Tsubaki; nevertheless, after five years Tomoe was able to pass her high school entrance exams and live as a normal girl.

Well, a normal devil girl.

While Tomoe could be considered smart enough to pass her exams and do relatively well in class, she could admit to herself that she wasn't the most diligent student, nor was she emotionally mature. She wanted to believe that people were genuinely good, though some would call her innocent because of that. She knew that tendency could be seen as a weakness by some devils, she had been warned about it before, but it was a weakness she was willing to bear. Tomoe loved life, she loved people, and she wanted to experience as much of it as possible. After spending so much of her life asleep, Tomoe didn't want to miss anything life offered and thought that cruelty and deceit was a huge waste of time. She wanted to know everyone, participate in everything, and share in people's triumphs and burdens.

So when Sona her mentor and [King], announced that she was suddenly engaged, Tomoe couldn't help but feel a wide mélange of things. Surprise, was definitely first and foremost, as well as excitement for her [King]. There was also a large amount of curiosity as well, since Sona was the first amongst their group to actually have a boyfriend, let alone a fiance. Tomoe wanted to believe that Ambrose's intentions towards Sona were honorable, so she decided find the time in order to have private chat with him in order to ensure that he would treat her [King] right. And so, when Tomoe saw the aforementioned alchemist walking down the hall during the lunch break, she didn't hesitate to approach him.