Chapter Thirty One

Risotto greeted you, welcoming you in. "What are you doing here?"

"My mom's out of town for a few days, I've truthfully just been bored," you admitted as Risotto closed the door. "Hey Ris, I was with Illuso a couple days ago and he mentioned that you knew me in the past."

Risotto nodded, "it's true."

You paused for a moment taken aback, "is Formaggio home?" You asked, not wanting to speak where someone could overhear.

"Yes, actually he's been sulking like a baby the past couple days," Risotto acknowledged with a small laugh.

- - -

You were in Risotto's room, it was so neat it looked nearly unlived in. "So, you wanted to speak alone?"

You nodded, "yes, just about the thing earlier."

"Oh," he began. "I recognized you from school, not just early but up until you left. I'd doubt you'd remember me, I was a couple grades above and ended up dropping out to do well, you know."

You chuckled, "I'm surprised you remembered me throughout those years."

"You always peaked my interest, but enough on it."

"What?" You asked before he could fully change the subject.

"You're like a puzzle I've been wanting to piece together," Risotto replied naturally, as if it was something everyone says in an ordinary conversation.

"You're more of a puzzle than me," you answered.

Risotto shrugged, "that may be. But, it's been troubling me, Illuso told me about what happened, did Formaggio do something?"

Risotto caught onto the shock in your face, moving to leave. "Wait! It's okay, it's nothing to worry over." You were honestly afraid of what he would do. "I'll settle it... in time."

He looked back and paused, "if you're sure." Nodding, you sat back on the bed. The comforter still had the creases from the package.

"Ris, are you really okay? I mean, you guys are frequently gone and it seems off."

Risotto eyed you, sitting beside you. "You know how our line of work is. Recently we're been busy with something more," he paused, "severe. I can't give you many details y/n, but we'll be okay."

"Yes, but will you? This has to take a toll on you." A brief moment of vulnerability passed over Risotto, "I'm here if you need."

Risotto smiled gratefully, but he said nothing.

You looked back at the blanket, "do you sleep in your office?" He was silent for awhile and you turned, flinching at his glare. "Sorry, it's just, you should rest properly."

"I'm always busy," he replied sternly.

"Not right now," you stood, "so get some real sleep, okay?" Risotto laid back awkwardly, pulling the covers over himself. You smiled at him as you opened the door, but he only watched you leave. "I'll be here when you wake," you said as you shut the door.

- - -

You had settled on the couch, watching tv for hours as you let Risotto sleep. The front door clicked open, and Melone stumbled in wearily. He fell on the couch beside you with a sigh, "y/n."

"Melone," you matched his tone, biting back a laugh.

"Don't do that! I'm exhausted, be nice," he whined as he leaned onto you. "Who else is here?"