Chapter Twenty-Four

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: February 10th, 1950
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

"Do you want to get ice cream, princess?" Dale asked his beautiful woman.

They just finished finalizing their arrangements for their trip and Dale wanted to treat Eleanor to something sweet.

Eleanor's eyes lit up and she nodded. "Yes, please! There's this place not too far from my house we can go to," She was calm on the outside, but she was ecstatic that she would finally get to go out with Dale in public.

Dale put away his notebook and took Eleanor's hand. "We can go wherever you'd like," He said and kissed her cheek.

Eleanor beamed brightly and they walked out of the house and got in Dale's car.

The ride to the shop was quiet, apart from Eleanor giving directions now and again.

Jack's Ice Cream

"It's a colored-owned shop, Dale. I used to come here with my parents almost every day growing up," Eleanor commented as Dale parked the car in front of the shop.

Dale looked at the shop and shrugged. If Eleanor's parents brought her to the shop, he knew that there would be trouble. But even with trouble, he just wanted Eleanor to be happy.

"Well, let's go in and get you that ice cream." He said with a smile and Eleanor smiled back.

God, she was lovely.

Dale got out of the car and opened Eleanor's door and they walked into the shop hand in hand.

Every eye in the shop landed on Dale as he walked into the shop. He didn't care, he only cared about getting Eleanor her ice cream.

"Is that a honky? She sold out," Some idiot whispered loudly.

Eleanor ignored the stupid comment and walked up to the ice cream case.

Her eyebrows furrowed at the numerous choices displayed before her.

She looked up at Dale and sighed. "This is going to be more difficult than it should be," She was indecisive when it came to almost everything in life. Thankfully she had Dale to help her.

"Why, princess?" Dale asked while trying to read the names of the flavors. "I left my glasses in the car." He murmured after realizing why the words were so blurry.

Eleanor laughed and kissed his cheek. "I think that you'll need those," She muttered and smiled once more at how handsome Dale was.

Dale rolled his eyes. "Just figure out what flavor you want, okay, princess?" Even when he was trying to be snarky, he still had to add something sweet.

Eleanor pinched his cheek and shooed him away.

Once Dale was outside of the shop, a woman stood next to Eleanor and took her hand.

"Dear, if that man is holding you hostage, I can help you leave." She said lowly while her eyes darted towards the door and back at Eleanor.

Eleanor tried to remove her hand from the woman's grip, but she was holding on tightly.

"Ma'am, I'm fine. I just came here for ice cream," Eleanor explained calmly, but the woman shook her head.

"Is that white man controlling you? He looks old compared to you, dear." The woman pressed.

Eleanor narrowed her eyes at the crazy woman and jerked her hand out of her grip.

This woman sounded just like her parents.