Chapter Six

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: November 1st, 1949
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

"Eleanor, could you come here for a second?" Professor Curtis asked once the class was over.

Eleanor sighed and tried not to judge Professor Curtis's behavior. He was now asking if he could see her, and it made her hesitant.

"Yes, Professor Curtis?" She asked while staying away from him. She didn't know what he was going to do.

Professor Curtis handed her the analysis and ran his hand through his hair.

"I thought we passed this stuff? I can't believe it," Eleanor clenched her teeth and shook her head. The grade on her analysis was a 'C-'. Her mother swore that he was changing, but she was wrong.

"Eleanor, I didn't cheat you. You didn't complete the assignment the right way, but you did answer some questions right which is why you didn't fail," Professor Curtis explained with a stern tone.

Eleanor's anger subsided and she bit her bottom lip. "Oh," She whispered. She was still upset, but only by the fact that her hard work truly deserved a 'C-'

"I will allow you to do it again, and I won't assign anything new until you understand the parallels."

Eleanor sighed and put the analysis into her book bag. "Thanks, I guess," She walked out the door and wondered how she was going to fix her work.

"I would like to explain what you did wrong over coffee if you have time." Professor Curtis stopped her and waited for an answer.

Eleanor almost dropped her book bag and her eyes bulged out of the socket.

She didn't know what to say. She didn't know why he wanted to help her. He could snap and kill her, but this assistance would help her with future assignments as well.

'Have an open heart,' The words of her mother and Francesca came to mind as she pondered a while longer.

After weighing the pros and cons of having Professor Curtis help her, Eleanor finally gave him an answer. "Um, I can go," She was hesitant sure, but she wanted to give Professor Curtis a chance. However, she still couldn't trust him.

"Okay, my car is this way," Professor Curtis didn't want it, but a small smile rested on his face as he led Eleanor to his car.

The looks and whispers that they got as they walked to his car made Eleanor uncomfortable. People already looked at her as if she was an alien, and now it was worse.

"We can have coffee at a shop, or my house. The choice is up to you," Professor Curtis said and looked over at Eleanor.

Eleanor jumped at his voice, as she was stuck in her wild thoughts. "Your house," She didn't want to go to a coffee shop. She wouldn't be allowed in the same section as Professor Curtis.

The ride to his house was short and when they arrived, Professor Curtis led her to the living room. "Make yourself comfortable, I've got to go warm the pot," Eleanor nodded slightly and walked to the couch, but instead of sitting, she began looking around the room.

It was scarcely decorated and he only had two pictures in the whole living room. It made her sad to see such a nice house look so empty. However, the house seemed to fit Professor Curtis perfectly. 

"I haven't found the time to decorate," Professor Curtis commented, which made Eleanor jump.

Her heart started to beat rapidly at the sudden sound of his voice. "The coffee is ready," He said and she followed him to the couch.