Chapter Eighteen

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: December 25th, 1949
Name: Stephen Dale Curtis
Age: thirty-nine

"Hold on, princess. I've got to get the record player," Dale said when he and Eleanor walked into the comforting warmth of his house.

Dale didn't spend Christmas day with Eleanor's family as she hoped, because he didn't feel like having them talk about him. So instead he only showed up to pick up Eleanor and bring her to his house.

Eleanor took off her coat and hung it on the rack by the door and went to the living room. "I'll be waiting!" She responded.

"Wow," She whispered in shock once she saw all of the presents under the tree. She didn't expect Dale to be such a Santa Claus to his friends and family. It was cute.

As she walked toward the tree, a picture caught her eye.

A smile grew on her face as she reached out and grabbed it.

It was the picture she took with Dale the week before.

"I'm trying to make the house a home, make it something beautiful," Dale commented when he noticed the frame in her hand.

Eleanor's smile blinded him with joy. "That's cute, Dale." She said and her mouth dropped at the picture next to it. "Dale," She started, but Dale stopped her.

"You looked beautiful and I look at them both every morning before going to work," He said, making Eleanor smile again. "Pick a record to play," He instructed and she did just that.

From his wide array of records, Eleanor picked a Nat King Cole record.

Embraceable You began to play and Dale offered his hand to Eleanor, which she took.

She hugged him and he kissed her. "Dance with me, princess." He murmured.

Eleanor nodded and let Dale lead her as they swayed.

"Just one look at you, my heart grows tipsy in me,"

As the song played, Eleanor couldn't stop the sigh that left her mouth. It was a bittersweet moment. She knew that they would only be able to experience this moment behind closed doors, but she was in love with Dale, so it didn't matter.

"Everything okay?" Dale asked and Eleanor gazed lovingly into his eyes. "Perfect. I love you," She hummed with a coy smile.

Dale stopped swaying and his grip on Eleanor's waist tightened as he lifted her off the ground and spun her. "I love you too, princess," He muttered before pressing his lips onto hers.

The sweetness of the kiss made Eleanor's toes curl. She was in love with Dale and her heart was content.

"I want to give you your presents now," Dale said lowly after they pulled apart, and Eleanor nodded happily. She was on cloud nine, so nothing mattered to her.

Dale led her to the couch and handed her a box from under the tree, but before she accepted it, she handed him his present.

"Open mine first," She insisted, and so he did.

It was a personalized wallet. S.D.C. It read. "I love it, princess. Thank you," Dale said sincerely and Eleanor beamed in response. "Okay, now it's your turn." He said and handed her the box.

She took it hesitantly and opened it carefully. "Dale, I-i only said that I wanted a pair of boots," She said after seeing a fur coat in the box. It was beautiful and it looked comfortable, but she didn't understand why he got it for her.

"Norah, do you like it?" He asked and she nodded. "Wonderful. I want you to pick anything from under the tree." Eleanor's eyes widened and then she squinted her eyes at Dale. "Eleanor," He asserted and she got up and picked a box.