Chapter Twenty-One

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: January 16th, 1950
Name: Stephen Dale Curtis
Age: thirty-nine

"Can I talk to you?" Dale asked once class was over.

Eleanor looked at Dale and nodded. "You don't have to ask, Dale. We talk all the time, we're way past this point," She laughed, but when Dale's expression didn't change, she got nervous.

"We can talk at my house," Dale said and they walked to his car.

Once they arrived at his house, Eleanor went straight to the kitchen for tea. The weather was getting critically cold and even with the furs Dale bought her for Christmas, she was still freezing.

Dale, though he was trying to remain serious, couldn't help but smile when he noticed that Eleanor was comfortable enough in his home to go into his kitchen. It was a small thing, but it made him a little happy.

"Thank you, princess," Dale murmured after Eleanor placed a mug of tea in front of him.

She smiled and pecked his cheek. "You're welcome!"

Dale didn't want to change the mood, but he had to. Though what he was going to say wasn't horrible.

"I talked to my brother and I told him about us." Dale paused and took Eleanor's soft warm hand. "I still feel guilty about what happened, and I'm so sorry," He apologized sincerely, but Eleanor was confused.

"Dale, I forgave you in November. We're engaged now, I've moved past what happened between us," She explained and Dale nodded with his lips pressed in a straight line.

As if a lightbulb went off over her head, Eleanor realized what was wrong. "You know, before you even apologized, I knew that you were sorry. Your actions speak louder than your words, and I love you. We were both in the wrong at the beginning," She insisted.

"That's not true and you know it. If I wasn't such a jerk, you wouldn't have been rude." He shot back and ran his fingers through his hair. He didn't want Eleanor to think that she was in the wrong. He was.

"Dale, I'm responsible for my actions, but we've already forgiven each other."

Dale threw his hands in the air and huffed. He had to be completely honest now. "I'm afraid that one day I'll slip up and say something to hurt you." He clenched his fists and looked her in the eyes. "I love you, Eleanor. I do, but I'm only human and it's my sinful nature to be selfish. Do you understand?"

Eleanor took his hand and shook it. "Yes. If I didn't understand, I wouldn't be with you. I know the dangers of being with a white man who used to be prideful, but I see your willingness to be anything but that man. That's why I love you." She said softly and laughed. "I fear slipping up sometimes too, but I know that slipping up is part of life." She let go of his hand and held a pillow instead. She hoped that he understood now.

"Wow," Dale muttered in shock. "I had no clue." He thought that he was the only one having those problems.

Eleanor laughed again and threw her pillow at him. "It's super normal for me to think negatively. However, I don't let them prosper. Philippians 4:8 says to think about good things and dwell on Jesus-like thoughts," She explained.

His fiancée was full of surprises. Eleanor was younger than him, but she was certainly wiser. "Ain't that something. You're a very sensible woman," He shook his head and chuckled. "Life is something."

Eleanor countered seconds later. "Something amazing when you have God on your side."

"Amen. You're like my very own Solomon." Dale wrapped his arm around her waist and pulled her in for a quick kiss. "I'm gon' cook for ya. Sit tight and I'll have some real good lunch out." He kissed her lips once more and went to the kitchen.