Chapter Five

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: October 26th, 1949
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

"Stop staring at it, Hazie Daisy, and go to school," Mildred scolded Eleanor as she stared in awe at the dress she had just finished.

Eleanor took one last look at the dress and pressed a kiss onto her mother's cheek. "Thank you for being such a wonderful seamstress! I love you," She said and walked out the door and to the bus stop.

It felt strange to think, but Eleanor was starting to enjoy her English Literature class. For some strange reason, Professor Curtis now gave her the grades she deserved and he only assigned extra work once a week.

Though he was lightening up, his personality didn't change one bit. He was still rude and arrogant.

When the bus came to a stop, Eleanor took her leave and headed to Professor Curtis's classroom. The room was empty as usual, but she didn't mind. It gave her time to prepare for Professor Curtis's attitude.

"Good morning,"

Eleanor dropped her pen and looked up to find the owner of the voice, and she found Professor Curtis. "Um, good morning," She responded hesitantly and cautiously watched as he set the classroom up.

His manners scared her, she didn't know what to think, but she was going to be careful around him.

Afterwhile, the students piled into the classroom and the lesson had begun.

"You all should be done with The Tempest by now and I want to stress how important it is to take notes. When reading anything, taking notes will help you with recalling things later." He explained and went on to tell the themes of the story, along with summaries of each chapter.

Fifty minutes came and went, and Professor Curtis was now finishing up.

"I would like to see more effort from every one of you. This Friday as I grade your work, I'd like to see work worthy of more than a D plus," He said while putting away his notebook. "You're all dismissed,"

Eleanor didn't want to jinx anything, but Professor Curtis seemed to be in a good mood. She hoped that his mood was good enough to let her go without any extra work.

"Eleanor," Professor Curtis called making her shoulders slump. "I'd like to see an analysis of Pride and Prejudice, specifically the parallels of Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth's life. Since it's Halloween soon I'll allow you to turn it in on November 1st," He explained to her and she nodded.

"I'll have it on your desk," She murmured and walked to the door.

"Be safe going home," Professor Curtis emphasized and sent her a slight nod.

-

"How was your nap, Hazie?" Leroy asked after seeing Eleanor come from her bedroom.

After getting home from class, Eleanor went straight to bed. She had stayed up late the night before trying to finish reading The Tempest, and she was happy to get a few more hours of rest before the costume party.

"It was wonderful, daddy! How was work?" She asked and pressed a kiss onto his cheek.

Leroy smiled and tapped the seat on the couch next to him. "It was work. How was your class?"

"Yes, how was class?" Mildred asked and sat next to Eleanor.

Eleanor cocked her head to the side as she thought about how strange Professor Curtis was acting. "It was surprisingly good. However, Professor Curtis was acting strange. He told me good morning, he extended the due date on my extra assignment, and he even told me to be safe going home. I believe that he may have tried some drugs, I don't think that he's truly changed." She reasoned honestly.