Chapter Nineteen

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: January 5th, 1950
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

Eleanor glanced down at the paper in her hands in utter shock. She was confused and glad at the same time, but she needed answers and she needed them now.

"Daddy, I have to go see Dale. Can I take your car?" She asked while tapping her foot impatiently.

Leroy looked away from his crossword puzzle and nodded. He knew better than to give a verbal response, he was sure to say something about Eleanor's poor white fiancé.

"Thanks, I should be back soon." Eleanor smiled and rushed out of the door.

When she arrived at Dale's house, Eleanor jumped out of the car and knocked on the door until it opened.

Dale stood in front of her with his glasses on and his Bible in hand. "Hi, princess, I have to say that I'm surprised to see you." He said and let her in.

Eleanor handed him the paper and looked at him with a determined look in her eyes. "What is this, Dale? It doesn't make any sense,"

Dale looked over the paper and placed his Bible on the coffee table. "It's your grades, Norah. You receive them at the end of every semester," He explained and opened his arms for a hug.

Eleanor bit her lip and walked into his arms. "I know that. Why is my final grade for the semester an 'A'? I'm really confused," She sighed and enjoyed the security that being in Dale's arms brought her.

Dale released her and they both sat on the couch. "You earned an 'A' for every assignment that you turned in." He said simply. "I'm sorry for lowering your grades in the beginning, your work always blew me away. Quite frankly, you're the best student I've ever taught because you understand the importance of completing work."

Eleanor, feeling flattered, smiled and pecked his cheek. "Thank you, Dale! And I forgive you." She grinned. "So, where did you teach before coming to New Haven?" She asked curiously, making Dale's heart drop.

He couldn't believe himself. He had forgotten to tell Eleanor and now she was going to be upset with him. "Eleanor," He started in a calm tone, but just the sound of her full name coming from Dale's mouth instilled fear in her. "I was in France for a few years teaching English,"

Eleanor didn't understand why Dale seemed so nervous. France was a nice country. "Why did you live in France?"

"I'm so sorry for not telling you sooner, but I was in the Navy. During the war, I was stationed in Scotland." He explained solemnly.

Eleanor nodded. "You told me before and your dog tags," She added.

"Yes, I got them when I was in the Navy." He wanted to smile at her attentiveness, but he knew better. "I moved to France once the war was over, but I was still on active duty. Today, I'm still an active Lieutenant Commander of the Navy," He concluded heavily.

Eleanor shook her head, trying to wrap her head around what Dale had just told her. She felt upset, sad, scared, angry, lied to, she felt everything.

Her emotions ran wild throughout her entire being.

She was scared more than anything.

Eleanor's chin vibrated as sobs left her mouth. "W-why?" She stammered not knowing what else to say. She wanted to hurt him for making her feel this way, but fear paralyzed her.

Dale wanted Eleanor to yell at him, he even wanted her to hit him, but he didn't want her to cry. He hated seeing her cry.

"I'm sorry," He got on his knees and knelt beside his crying fiancée. "I'm sorry for not telling you sooner, it slipped my mind!" He said apologetically. "Just please, don't cry." He begged.