Chapter Three

Chapter includes rape attempt

Location: New Haven, Connecticut
Date: September 2nd, 1949
Name: Eleanor Hazel Bush
Age: twenty-three

Two weeks had passed and Eleanor stayed on top of her work, but Professor Curtis continued low-balling her grades. She didn't want to hate him, but she now did.

"Thank you," She muttered as she walked out of the bus. English Literature had ended and now all Eleanor wanted to do was go to the library. Everything about the library gave her joy, each book had the power to take her to a different place in time. It was peaceful.

The bus stopped a block away from the library, but walking always gave her time to think and clear her mind. She enjoyed it.

"My luck has changed!" A scratchy voice called out as she neared the library.

Eleanor's heart dropped. She had the worst luck in the world.

"Well, I'll be! For a negra this pretty I'd be willing to show you off!" The man declared and licked his lips as he eyed her body.

Eleanor took a deep breath and sprinted away from the man. "God, please don't let him hurt me. Please," She whispered as tears built up in her eyes. She was horrified.

"Don't you run from me, girl!" The man demanded with a short tone. When Eleanor didn't slow down, the man let out a strange noise. "You negras got big ears, I know you heard me girl!"

Eleanor gasped at the vile words and continued running away from the man.

"I had enough of this!" The man yelled and grabbed something from his bag and threw it towards Eleanor, making her stumble.

The man laughed as she cried out in pain and fear. Once he caught up with her, the man bent down to her level and grazed her face with his hand. "Now you wouldn't be hurt if you would've just listened to me," He cooed with a patronizing tone.

Eleanor turned her face away from the man and tried to get up. "I-i promise that I won't say anything if you just let me go!" Eleanor cried as the man kissed her neck, making her skin crawl.

"No!" She yelled hysterically as the man tried to remove her shirt.

"Shut up, negra." The man hissed and slapped her making her cry out again.

-

"What will come out of it? We aren't sure but we'll keep everyone posted," The radio host explained as Dale drove down the road.

He was going home to grade the homework of his students, and he hated to admit it, but Eleanor was his most impressive student. She was his only impressive student.

"That radio ain't saying anything important," He muttered and turned it off. He wanted to have some peace and quiet, but the radio host had a lot of shit to say.

With the windows down, Dale continued his ride home.

"No!" A woman's voice rang throughout the street. She sounded hysterical.

Dale sighed and pulled over to the side of the road. He was never a man to ignore the sounds of a helpless person. It went against his moral code.

"Which one?" He asked, trying to decide between his pistol and his baseball bat.

Grabbing the pistol, Dale hurried to the direction where the scream came from.

When he made it, he found a man straddling a now unconscious woman.

"You piece of junk," Dale muttered before kicking the man in the side.

The man groaned in pain. "G-get your own negra," He coughed out and tried to swing at Dale.