Chapter 31

*As always, this story is on-going and changes will be made along the way

Thank you to each and every one of you for reading my book. Your support is everything to me! :)

Feel free to comment & vote below!

** 

Giovanni

Countless days had passed since I last saw her. I was starting to become used to the numb feeling that now lived inside of me. The constant hollowness reminding me of her absence. Every day I fought the urge to pick up the phone and call her. I fought the urge to rock up at her apartment and bang on her door until she opened up for me. I fought the urge to tell her that this could all be over.

But I couldn't bring myself to put her through that again.

I watched how it broke her over and over again to be reminded that Casey and I were having a baby. I was the continued reason for her pain and it killed me. All I ever wanted was to make her happy and I knew I could. I knew she and I had something special but one wrong move and I had lost it all. For days, I allowed myself to wallow in the sadness but I had to start pulling myself out of it. I had people relying on me and even though I didn't want to face the world without her, I had to.

I casually strolled into the office building of Velazquez Constructa. We had closed the deal for the building in Valencia for the expansion of Mala Mía and I needed to pick up the blueprints for the original one from my father's office. I hadn't seen him since that night in Valencia and I wasn't sure what to expect from him. If I knew him well enough, it would be a brief and curt conversation. He would hand them over to me and I would be on my way. Weeks ago I would have wanted to have a full-on conversation about what happened but I just didn't have it in me. I didn't have it in me to deal with my parent's broken relationship right now. I stepped into the elevator full of people and pressed the button for the top floor. After stopping for everyone else, I was the last one to get out as the doors opened up. I stepped out and strolled over to reception. I didn't recognise the petite red-head that sat behind the desk, her big blue eyes peering up at me.

"Buenos Dias," she greeted politely, "How can I help you?"

"I'm looking for my father, Cecilio Velazquez. Is he in yet?"

"I didn't know he had a son," she battered her eyelashes, not even bothering to hide her very obvious interest, "He's in the conference room for a meeting but he should be done soon,"

"Gracias,"

I turned down the corridor that led to the conference room. The entire floor space was scattered with offices that were separated by glass walls. My father had plenty of people working under him but very few had a permanent residency in this office space. The door to the conference room was still closed but I could see him inside seated with a couple of other people I had never met before. I walked to his office in the corner and pushed through the door. I had been here many a time and everything was just as I remembered. A large oak desk sat by the far wall with a leather chair on the opposite side of it. A large painting of the La Sagrada Familia hung on the wall behind it and file cabinets were scattered along the left wall. There was a large window that looked out onto the city on the right side. In the distance, you could see the 4 spires of the cathedral. His office had the best view.

I turned to the murmur of voices getting louder behind me as my father walked towards his office.

"Giovanni, I didn't know you were going to be here," he was surprised but he kept his tone clipped and formal as always