Chapter 39

*As always, this story is on-going and changes will be made along the way

Thank you to each and every one of you for reading my book. Your support is everything to me! :)

Feel free to comment & vote below!

**Mature content in this book | +18 only

**

Giovanni

"Can I make you coffee so long?" I peeped my head into the bathroom as Isabella was showering

"Yes please, I'm almost done,"

"You'll find me downstairs,"

I closed the door behind me and couldn't help but smile. She was here again and as selfish as that was, it made me happy. This was what I had always wanted. She and I together again. We still had so much to figure out but something about last night felt different. She didn't leave with Lorenzo when it came down to it - she chose me and I knew she would continue to choose me. All the outside elements aside, we were meant to be together and I wasn't going to let her go without a fight. I tried to let her move on with her life. I tried to stay away but I couldn't. I couldn't live with the hollowness that was inside of me at the absence of her in my life.

I reached for a hoodie from my cupboard and pulled it over my head as I strolled downstairs. The sound of the elevator opening caught my attention and I stopped in my tracks trying to think of who it could be. I didn't want another unwelcomed guest while I was with Isabella so relief quickly washed over me as my mother turned around the corner.

"Mama, what are you doing here?"

I was surprised by her arrival. I didn't know she was going to stop by today. I hadn't seen her since the last time I was at the house and I learned about her affair. I hadn't confronted her about it either - Alvaro and I agreed to deal with this after the Christmas party so I had to keep my mouth shut.

"Hola, cariño," she walked over to me and kissed both my cheeks, "¿Cómo estás?"

"I'm good. I was just about to make some coffee, can I make you a cup?"

She followed me into the kitchen and stood by the counter, placing her bag down, "Sí, por favor,"

I brought the kettle to a boil and grabbed three mugs from the cupboard, placing them on the counter in front of her.

"I haven't seen you in a while," she said with a flicker of sadness in her voice, "Not since what happened with your father,"

I kept my face as neutral as I could manage as I reached for the tin of coffee and a teaspoon.

"Yeah, Alvaro said you went to stay with him for a couple of days,"

She nodded, "It was nice to have some time to think,"

I was dying to ask her what she was doing. Was she planning on leaving my father? When did her affair start? Why didn't she leave him earlier? So many questions were running through my mind but I couldn't breathe a word of it to her. She pulled herself onto the barstool and I noticed she wasn't the same today. She was usually so full of energy and a positive light in my life but that had started to dim since I told her what happened. It saddened me to see her like this. She deserved to be happy too.

"But what about you?" She asked, "Don't think I haven't seen the news, Giovanni. Are you really having a baby?"

I sighed. This wasn't the first time she asked me about this. I had plenty of messages from her that I didn't know how to reply to. I had avoided her questions long enough. I didn't want to disappoint her but I couldn't get out of this one. Not with her sitting right in front of me. She peered at me from behind her glasses and I half expected there to be judgment in her dark brown eyes but instead, there was only concern.