Wheeler vs Teenage Hormones

Frantically, Wheeler shoved the scroll behind his back just as the headmistress entered the room.

"Mister Trevil, I didn't expect to find you here," Vera said, her expression unreadable. The headmistress's gaze fell to Mulock now, seering into him.

Wheeler felt just about ready to vomit.

"Uh...sorry, headmistress. This is my childhood friend uh...Marvin," Wheeler stammered. "He came to visit, but I wasn't sure if it was against school policy. I went to your office to double check and saw the door was open." He bowed his head. "I'm so sorry, I should've waited outside."

"Are you alright, Mister Trevil?" Vera asked, taking a step closer. The action caused Wheeler's heart to jump into his throat.

"W-What do you mean, Miss?" Wheeler practically choked.

"You seem exhausted," Vera replied, her magnified eyes never once blinking. "And...have you been crying?"

"Wha...oh! Um..." Wheeler quickly wiped his eyes with one hand. "Well, it's almost final exams. You know how it is."

The headmistress gave an understanding nod. "Ah yes, it can be quite the stressful time of year." Her gaze never left Wheeler. "Actually, young Mister Trevil...I'm glad you're here."

Wheeler swallowed hard. "You are?"

"Yes, I was actually hoping to speak to you. Your professors have informed you of the standard protocol for the exams, correct?"

"Um...kind of," Wheeler awkwardly replied. "I know we get to fight in some big arena, right?"

"Yes, that's correct," Vera said with a nod. "It's the same location where the second year tournament is going to be held." Her long, ink-stained fingers laced together. "Unfortunately, we have neither the space nor the proper resources for such an event at the academy. That is why, at the end of the month, we'll be traveling to the capital where the arena is located."

Wheeler's eyes went wide. "The capital? Really?! I've always wanted to go!"

Vera smiled thinly. "Yes, the capital is a truly remarkable place, with plenty of remarkable people. Which brings me to what I wanted to talk about..." She snapped her fingers and a thin sheet of paper instantly manifested in Wheeler's hand. "I need you to run an errand for me," Vera continued. "Written on that paper is the address of an old friend of mine. She owns a small business in the capital and I'd like you to speak with her."

"Oh, um...sure. I can do that," Wheeler replied, fidgeting nervously. The prolonged eye contact with Vera was beginning to make him extremely uncomfortable. "Is there anything specific I should tell her?"

"No need. I'm more concerned with what she has to say to you." Well, that was rather cryptic. "When you return, I'd like you to report back whatever she said...granted she decides to speak to you at all. Yureka is very particular."

"Err...okay..." Wheeler replied, pinned in place beneath Vera's bug eyed stare.

"Wonderful." A long pause followed before the headmistress's gaze finally snapped to Mulock. "Oh, and your friend is welcome to stay for a brief visit."

"Thank you, Miss!" Wheeler stammered, quickly bowing his head as he prayed they'd finally reached the end of this conversation.

To Wheeler's relief, Vera continued by saying, "I'm sure you're both incredibly busy so I won't hold you further. As always, feel free to come to me if you have any further inquiries about school policy."

"Of course, I truly appreciate it, Miss," Wheeler replied, almost a little too quickly.

They exchanged a brief goodbye before Mulock and Wheeler immediately attempted to shuffle towards the door. As they moved however, Wheeler could still feel the sharp prick of Vera's gaze on the back of his neck.