A Short Lived Musical Career

Author's Note: Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know this story will be updating Wednesdays and Thursdays :D

"Do you have any idea how much easier this would be if you hadn't gotten yourself publicly forced out of the academy?" the demon muttered as they trudged through the woods.

"I'm sorry," Wheeler said for about the fifteenth time that night.

The demon sighed heavily. "You're lucky I was able to come up with a back up plan. You sure you remember what it is?"

Wheeler took a deep breath, trying his best to restate what the demon had told him nearly word for word. "We get some illusionary fairy dust then I use it to make myself look like another student and take their place."

"Good," the demon replied with a nod.

"I'm still not so sure about this," Wheeler said slowly. "It seems kinda mean to just replace someone."

"You made a deal with a demon, kid. It comes with the territory."

Wheeler's shoulders sagged. "I just wish there was another way..."

"Well we wouldn't need another way if you hadn't failed your entrance exam," the demon snapped. "So shut up and stop complaining. Honestly, what kind of idiot tries to apply for a magic academy without ever casting a spell?"

"You're doing that thing again," Wheeler said softly.

"What thing?"

"The thing where you say really mean things."

"For the last time, I'm a demon. I'm going to say mean things. Get over it." The demon stopped, pointing to a massive tree stretching high into the air above them. Surrounding it was a circle of tiny, red-capped mushrooms. "The fairy tree is right there. Near the roots is an entrance."

"Are you going to come with me?" Wheeler asked.

"Nope."

"Oh," the boy said slowly. "Okay." He turned to move towards the tree when he suddenly froze. "Hey, before I go, we never exchanged names. I'm Wheeler!"

He was met by silence.

"And...you are..." Wheeler urged.

The demon let out a low huff, rolling his eyes. "Mulock."

"Can I call you Mully?"

"No," the demon replied dryly. "No you can not."

"But it's such a cute nickname. It suits you."

"No it doesn't."

"Oops, sorry, I can't hear you," Wheeler said, beginning to skip towards the tree.

"Yes you can," Mulock snapped.

"No, I really can't! Maybe I could've if you came with me, but you're so far away now that I can't hear a word you're saying...Mully."

"Don't call me that!"

"Huuuuh? What did you say?" Wheeler said with a grin, beginning to dip between the tree's massive moss-covered roots, his gaze falling to the hollow opening beneath.

"I said don't call me Mully--" before the demon could finish his sentence Wheeler crawled inside the small entrance.

It was a tight squeeze but eventually Wheeler was able to squirm his way through the hole. What he found inside was a sight that made his eyes go as round as saucers.