Your Wheeler

"I'd like to punch that brat's face in," Mulock muttered, crossing his arms as he leaned against Wheeler's bedroom door.

Wheeler flopped onto his bed, half hidden by the royal blue silks cascading down from the canopy above it.

"He's just upset," Wheeler murmured. "Emeric's in a difficult situation. It's only natural he'd lash out at me to cope."

"I wish you'd stop doing that," Mulock said sharply.

"Doing what?"

"Being so forgiving." The demon let out a heavy sigh. "People aren't as good at heart as you think they are. After all the shit you've seen, I thought you'd finally understand that."

"Everyone deserves a second chance," Wheeler said, rolling over on his side.

"Oh really?" Mulock replied dryly. "Then how about people like Milton Slengeborn, or Arlo, or any of those other disgusting murderers? Did you pity them too?"

"No matter their crimes, they shouldn't have died like that," Wheeler said, his voice quiet. "And we never learned their reasons. For all we know, they were being threatened--"

"There you go again," Mulock snapped. "Stop trying to defend people that don't deserve it. Humans are horrible creatures and willingly do horrible things. That's just the way things are and it's never going to change," His gaze flickered to the floor. "I know that better than anyone."

"But you changed," Wheeler said softly.

The demon went silent, his expression unreadable.

"You can't save everyone," Mulock finally said.

"I know," Wheeler murmured. "But I can still try."

Mulock's mouth drew into a hard line. "It's getting late," he said, his voice tight. "I'll take my leave. Goodnight, Your Highness."

"Wait," Wheeler exclaimed, shooting up as Mulock turned towards the door. "What did you just call me?"

"Your Highness," Mulock repeated flatly. "You're a prince now. It's disrespectful for me to address you by name."

"That makes no sense," Wheeler argued, slipping off the bed. "You've always called me Wheeler. Why does that need to change?"

"Because things are different now," Mulock countered sharply. "I'm your royal advisor. It's inappropriate." He took a deep breath, smoothing down his jacket. "Everything you do from now on is going to be viewed publicly. You're already fighting an uphill battle to be recognized as legitimate. Your advisor speaking to you so intimately would be sure to start rumors."

"I don't care," Wheeler protested, moving across the room towards him. "I'm fine with whatever they say about me."

"Well, I'm not. I won't let you be mocked on my account," Mulock snapped, his voice coming out slightly strained. "You wanted to learn the ways of court. That's why you made me your advisor. So please, let me do my job and actually help you." The demon swallowed hard. "Perhaps we shouldn't even be alone together anymore--"

"I've willingly done everything that's been asked of me," Wheeler interrupted, his voice angrier than Mulock had ever heard it. "But I am drawing a goddamn line. I...I refuse to distance myself from you."

"Your Highness, I--"

"Not, Your Highness," Wheeler blurted, his eyes growing watery. "It's Wheeler. It's always just Wheeler." He leaned forward, gently cupping Mulock's face in his hands as he desperately pressed his lips to the demon's. When he finally drew back, tears were rolling down his cheeks, streaking through the foundation and exposing the freckles beneath. "Your Wheeler."

Mulock let out a low breath, slowly reaching out to wipe the rest of the foundation away. "If we continue on like this, people will talk."

"Good. Let them." Wheeler pressed a light kiss to Mulock's neck, then another. "Let them know who I belong to."

The words caused Mulock to shiver beneath Wheeler's lips. "You're mistaken," he said softly, his fingers absently brushing across the collar at his throat. "You bought me with your soul. I am yours."

"Then it seems we're both entrapped." Wheeler pressed another gentle kiss above Mulock's fluttering pulse.

"This is far too dangerous," the demon whispered. "I know what these people are like. They'll take what's between us as a weakness to be exploited." Wheeler's kisses trailed across his collar bone, his hands slipping beneath Mulock's shirt, causing the demon's breathing to quicken. "But if we're extremely careful to not be found out then maybe..." the demon stammered, his voice growing breathless. "Maybe, it's alright."

Wheeler brought his mouth to Mulock's once more, and this time the demon's hands reached up, knotting in his hair as he deepened the kiss.

"So," Wheeler asked breathily. "You'll still call me Wheeler?"

"You're the prince," Mulock replied. He grabbed Wheeler by the wrists, flipping their positions as he pinned him against the wall. "Are you ordering me to call you by name?" He moved forward, pressing his leg between Wheeler's, causing the boy to shudder as a familiar blush spread across his cheeks. "Because if it's a direct order from my prince, then I don't have a choice."

"Yes," Wheeler gasped, his voice quivering. "It's an order."

"Well, in that case," Mulock murmured, "I'll do as I'm told." He kissed Wheeler again, his teeth catching and pulling at his lower lip, drawing out a small whimper. "I am yours, Wheeler Trevil," he whispered against him, causing the other's breath to hitch.

He had no idea how Wheeler managed to do this to him. He knew this was dangerous and in neither of their best interest, and yet...why was he powerless to resist those sea-green eyes?

Mulock moved him towards the bed now, gently pushing Wheeler down onto the soft, silk covered cushion.

Wheeler stared up at him wide-eyed, his chest rising and falling rapidly, lips swollen and parted.

"God," Mulock mused, reaching down to brush a few strands of golden hair from his face. "You're so fucking adorable."

Wheeler's gaze darted away, the flush darkening. "So are you," he stammered.

The demon laughed. "Me? Adorable?" He flicked a finger against Wheeler's forehead. "I'm not sure your brain is working properly."

"No," Wheeler replied breathlessly, the blush creeping up to his ears. "I really mean it. Every time you smile, it's all I can think about."

The fluttering feeling in Mulock's chest was back, more desperate and overwhelming than it had ever been before.

"I'm sorry," Mulock said softly, slowly beginning to remove Wheeler's shirt "I was too harsh on you earlier." Gently, he slipped it up over Wheeler's shoulders, revealing the flushed skin beneath. Light freckles dusted his trembling shoulders and Mulock leaned forward, his lips lightly brushing across Wheeler's burning skin. "Your kindness and compassion is something I admire more than anything," Mulock murmured. "And the fact that you held onto it, despite all you've witnessed, proves even further what an amazing person you are." He leaned forward, placing a light kiss to Wheeler's forehead. "I only said those things because I...." He took a deep breath. "I worry that eventually someone will take advantage of that kindness and you'll get hurt. It's only a matter of time before..."

"I know," Wheeler whispered, his eyes fluttering closed. "But being hurt is just a part of life."

A burst of an emotion erupted deep within Mulock's chest.

He knew its name, that dreaded four letter word which had once cost him everything.

He'd thought he'd locked it away, that it had died long ago, but here it was, overwhelming his senses, making him feel like he might suffocate.

He could never tell Wheeler how he felt. It was far too dangerous.

Instead, he kissed him desperately and Wheeler's arms wrapped around his shoulders, pulling him closer still.

Despite the fact that it was their first time in nearly two years having separate rooms, Wheeler and Mulock fell asleep tangled in each other's arms once more.