Wheeler Makes a Choice

"This is what you truly want, Father?" Wheeler asked softly. "To share such power with me? Wouldn't you rather keep it for yourself?"

"Wheeler," the Grand Emperor replied, his voice low. "I've walked this path alone my entire life. It was necessary but...God, it's so lonely." He reached out, gently stroking Wheeler's cheek. "I would give anything to have you walk it with me, by my side."

Wheeler let out a deep exhale, squeezing his eyes shut, the trembling of his shoulders at last relaxing. "Then...I won't let you down. I'll do whatever you wish of me."

The moment the words left his mouth, his father pulled him into an even tighter hug, squeezing him until Wheeler could hardly breathe. "Oh, my dear boy, you have no idea how happy you've made me. The kind of power you're about to have...you'll be unstoppable. We'll crush every enemy in our way. Wheeler, you will be my greatest legacy."

"So," Wheeler asked, his gaze drifting across the line of essence filled bowls, "what happens now?"

"We can't infuse you with it just yet," the emperor said, at last letting Wheeler slip from his arms. "A ritual must take place to guarantee the power is properly transferred into you. It'll take me at least several hours to prepare." He smiled, giving Wheeler's hair a light ruffle as if nothing had changed between them. "I'll get everything in order tonight, and in the morning...we'll make you more powerful than you could possibly imagine."

"Tomorrow," Wheeler whispered. "That soon?"

"Why wait?"

"You're absolutely right," Wheeler said, returning the smile. "Tomorrow can't come soon enough!"

***

The moment Wheeler was released from his father's chambers, he took off running. His blood pounded in his ears almost as loudly as the echo of his feet slamming against the marble floor as he raced down the hall.

At last he burst into Mulock's room, not even bothering to knock as he flung the door open.

Priscilla and Mulock's heads shot up, their gazes snapping to him. Wheeler felt a small wave of relief to find Mulock conscious with Priscilla by his side, most likely having come to check on him. This would make things far easier. The relief was quickly smothered, however, by the weight of what he was about to tell them.

Priscilla paled as Wheeler slammed the door shut behind him.

"Wheeler, what's going on--"

"We need to leave," Wheeler said. "We need to get out of the palace tonight."

"The hell are you talkin' about?" Mulock mumbled, his voice rough. The demon looked awful, eyes glassy and unfocused, words slightly slurred. The realization that he must still be recovering from Emeric's sedative made Wheeler's stomach turn.

Nuzzled against the demon's shoulder was Mister Pumpernickel, the toad nervously watching over him like he was his nurse.

"The Golden One," Wheeler stammered, "it's my father."

The statement caused Priscilla to gasp, her hands flying to her mouth. "So all those sacrifices..."

"They were for him," Wheeler finished. "He's stripping victims of their magical essence to feed his own power. With his supply gone, he's started using the Royal Mages instead."

Priscilla's eyes went wide in horror. "Peter," she breathed, "he was missing an arm. That means the Grand Emperor must have..." She turned away, clutching the edge of the desk beside her so tightly her knuckles went white, her chest rising and fall rapidly as if she was struggling to breath.

"We'll need time to properly formulate an escape plan," Mulock said, still as practical as ever despite being slightly delirious. "Tomorrow we can start putting things into motion--"

"We don't have until tomorrow," Wheeler blurted. "As soon as the sun rises, my father plans to infuse me with the essence alongside him." His eyes began to burn, vision blurring with tears despite himself. "If I consume that essence, I become no different than him, and I..." He let out a broken sob. "I'd rather die than let that happen. We have to escape tonight."

"Shit," Mulock breathed, burying his face in his hands. "Well this is a fucking nightmare."

"We should pack what we need and then get to the stables," Wheeler said, frantically wiping his eyes. "We'll steal the best horses we can find and then travel somewhere far away from here, somewhere he can't find us."

"But what about Peter?" Priscilla choked out. "I can't leave him, not after finding out what they've been doing to him."

Wheeler swallowed hard. "Then we'll rescue him first and then escape, all together."

"Are you crazy?" Mulock snapped. "It's going to take a miracle for just the three of us to get out of here undetected. Going back for him jeopardizes everything."

"I don't care," Wheeler said, his voice tight. "A brother has already been lost tonight. I don't intend to let Priscilla lose hers."