The Bird And The Worm

Wheeler and Mulock had both come to the unspoken agreement not to speak of anything that had transpired within the mysterious shop on Langlet Street. It had been far too much to process on Wheeler's end, and he knew better by now than to bring up Mulock's past. In fact, Wheeler worried that if the subject of Yureka came up again the demon might storm back into the shop and burn it to the ground.

Instead the two had buried themselves in Wheeler's studies, hardly leaving the hotel. Late into the night they ran through every species of monster imaginable, their weaknesses and strengths, at what point Wheeler should cast which spells. Luckily the non-stop study session gave them very little time to actually think about the events of the day.

Morning arrived, fast and unforgiving (especially for the students who'd made the horrible decision to spend the night partying in the capital). This meant the time had finally come for every teenager's favorite thing in the world...

Finals.

Wheeler stood anxiously in a small chamber beneath the arena, waiting for the horn to sound that signified his time slot to take the exam had arrived. Nervously he chewed on his bottom lip, nails digging into his palms, his chest so tight with nerves he could hardly breathe.

Wheeler's hands slipped into his pocket, finding the smooth wood of the toad Mulock had carved him. He clutched it tightly, hearing the echo of the demon's voice deep within his head, "just take deep breaths. Wheeler, you can do this." After several excruciatingly long moments, Wheeler felt his breathing finally begin to calm, the nausea turning in the pit of his stomach subduing slightly.

"Mister Trevil?"

The sudden sound of a voice behind him made Wheeler's heart jump into his throat. Quickly he spun around, finding the headmistress standing there. How had she been so quiet? Wheeler hadn't even heard her approach.

She watched him, her eyes appearing as massive as ever behind her thick glasses. At the lack of response, Vera cocked her head to the side like a bird, her gaze never leaving Wheeler. "Mister Trevil," she repeated, "did you not hear me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, Miss," Wheeler stammered, hardly able to speak through the lump in his throat.

Vera moved closer, those large unblinking eyes pinning him in place. "I hope you've been enjoying your time in the capital."

"Um...y-yes," Wheeler stuttered. "It's a lovely place."

"Good." She took another step towards him, her expression unreadable. "Did you have a chance to visit Yureka?"

Wheeler's lips parted to reply. Just as he was about to speak however, he remembered that dark look on Yureka's face. She's not my friend, she had said, and she isn't yours either.

Wheeler didn't exactly trust Yureka, but right now he felt a horrible twist of fear in his gut at the very thought of telling the headmistress anything.

"I tried to," Wheeler said, hoping Vera wouldn't notice how tight his voice was. "But um...she turned me away."

"Oh," Vera hummed, her head tilting sideways at an angle that seemed almost inhuman. "Is that so?" Suddenly her hand shot forward, roughly grabbing Wheeler by the back of the neck. A spike of terror shot through him as he felt sharp nails biting into his skin, so harshly they nearly drew blood. She pushed Wheeler's head down, her gaze searing into the birthmark there.

"Mister Trevil," she said coldly, "if you're going to lie, at least try to actually be convincing." She clicked her tongue, finally releasing him from her grip. "I really thought you would've learned from the last time." Wheeler tried to look down at his feet but she shoved a finger under his chin, forcing him to meet her unblinking stare. "You always tend to look to the right when you lie, and you blink far too often. Honestly, the fact that you thought your deceptions were even mildly convincing is a little sad."

Wheeler felt like he was about to vomit.

Suddenly a horn sounded from above them, the sound practically vibrating through the chamber. Slowly, Vera let her finger slip from Wheeler's chin, her mouth pressing into a thin smile.

"Well then, I won't hold you from your exam," she murmured. "Good luck."

Wheeler frantically turned to go but Vera suddenly spoke again. "Oh, and Mister Trevil?"

"Yes?" Wheeler whispered hoarsely.

"Don't you ever lie to me again."

Feeling dizzy and still horribly nauseous from dread, Wheeler was hardly aware of the large doors to the chamber beginning to open, revealing the stairs that lead up to the arena. Anxiously he glanced back once more, only to find the headmistress gone.

It took nearly everything in him to keep his legs from trembling as he slowly climbed the stairs, finally emerging out of an opening at the arena's center. Among the seats were a handful of students who'd already passed their exams, watching excitedly.

Wheeler's gaze drifted higher to the line of professors who sat with their quills and parchment at the ready. They watched him like a bird might a worm.

"Good afternoon, Mister Trevil," professor Milton said, his voice amplified throughout the arena by some sort of spell. "As I'm sure you're aware, for your final you'll be fighting an illusionary beast within this very arena." He removed a large glass hourglass. "You have exactly one hour to defeat it in order to pass your exam. Fail and you will not be returning to the academy in the fall."

As Milton spoke, a glass barrier began to rise up around the arena floor, separating Wheeler from the stands. When it had finally reached its full height, Wheeler felt like he was standing in the middle of a massive fish tank.

Suddenly, water began to rush up from the floor, rising higher and higher at a startling pace. The night before, Wheeler and Mulock had looked extensively over strategies for a potential water battle. Wheeler was prepared for this. Before the liquid could even reach his knees, Wheeler quickly removed his wand, murmuring the spell Mulock had made him prep beforehand in order to easily breathe once submerged.

And on the subject of Mulock...

Wheeler's gaze fell to a small white cat hidden beneath the seats, a toad perched on his head.

Despite how anxious he was, Wheeler couldn't help but smile at the sight.

The water continued to rise at an impossibly fast (and obviously magically induced) speed. Soon the entire tank was filled, leaving Wheeler floating at its center, his wand still clutched tightly in hand. His heart was beating so fast that beneath the water its pounding sounded thunderous in his ears.

A shape began to take form now, fluctuating and growing larger and larger until floating in the water before him was a massive sea monster.

"Alright," Milton's voice called, vibrating through the water. "Your exam starts—now." From outside the glass, Wheeler saw him flip the hourglass over. "You may begin."

The moment he said the words, the monster lunged at him.