Secrets

They sat huddled on the bottom bunk bed, listening intently as the Vivok twins recounted their tale in hushed voices.

"God knows when it started," Lenox whispered.

"Probably long before we were even born," Lilith added.

"But people born with magical abilities in the icy mountains tend to go missing, especially in Gortsville."

"They never take many of us," Lilith said softly. "Only three or four every spring. We would've never noticed if it weren't for..."

The twins exchanged a long glance.

"Our mother went missing when we were only twelve," Lenox said slowly. "She was like us." He removed a wand made of a deep brown mahogany. "A magic user."

"Father changed once she was gone," Lilith continued. "He began obsessively hunting for her and discovered she wasn't the only one who disappeared."

"It started to drive him mad," Lenox murmured, his voice quiet. "We were all he had and he was so terrified of losing us that he locked us in the house, forbidding us to leave."

"We used to sneak out, but then father found out and became so paranoid that he..."

They exchanged yet another uneasy glance.

"He was the one in the walls?" Wheeler said slowly.

Lenox gave a stiff nod. "Yes. He spends each day either locked up in his study doing God knows what or listening to us, making sure we never escape from the house."

"That's awful," Wheeler breathed.

"It's an existence we've grown used to," Lilith said, her voice barely a whisper.

"Spring is coming," Lenox said softly. "And with father locking us away and keeping us under constant surveillance, we know there's nothing we can do to save this year's victims. But then sister had an amazing idea."

They exchanged a small smile.

"If we could get an outsider's help we might actually have a fighting chance to find out what's going on and finally stop it. To keep father fooled you could help with the castle repairs during the week..."

"And," Lenox continued, "on your days off you could leave to go 'enjoy the town', when really you'd be investigating the disappearances and reporting back to us."

Lilith's gaze fell to her hands. "Of course, we completely understand if you don't want to--"

"Are you kidding me," Priscilla exclaimed. "A creepy town with an eerie mystery!? That's soooooo much better than just wasting away for three months in this boring castle. I'm so totally in!"

"Me too," Wheeler said with a nod. "We'll do anything in our power to help."

"Thank you," Lilith breathed, looking nearly ready to cry with relief. "This means the world to us."

"So," Mulock said, crossing his arms unceremoniously. "Do the two of you have any actual leads?"

Lenox gave a small nod. "According to our servants, we just might."

***

"God, why is the architecture here all so freaky?" Priscilla said, glancing to a wooden sign painted to look like a massive eyeball. Its pupil was decorated with flaking gold foil and written beneath it in thin red letters were the words 'The Oculus Club'.

Mulock's eyes narrowed. "A nightclub?"

"This is the grimmest, most depressing town ever," Priscilla pointed out. "What's even the point of having one?"

"You just answered your own question," Mulock replied dryly. "Alcohol and women are probably the only way they can forget they're living in a shit hole."

"Well I think this town is very quaint," Wheeler cut in.

"And you're entitled to that wrong opinion."

"Look," Priscilla exclaimed, pointing up ahead. "That must be the school house!"

The Vivok twins had informed them that several children with magical abilities had gone missing from the school over the past decade. Allegedly last spring two young boys attending there had disappeared without a trace.

Thanks to Wheeler's impeccable dumb luck, as they approached the large brass school bell chimed, signifying the end of the school day. A few moments later, a stream of students began to emerge from the small stone building.

"Okay," Mulock said, glancing between Wheeler and Priscilla. "Now remember, please don't make this creepy."

"Don't worry," Wheeler said, "I've got this!" He strode over towards the children, a far too cheerful grin on his face. "Hiya, kids!"

Mulock face palmed.

The children exchanged a few nervous glances, backing away slowly.

Wheeler had grown another few inches over the summer and had to squat just to be level with them. "Hey, do you guys want to see something cool?" He removed his wand, murmuring a spell as an illusion of a tiny pegasus appeared, fluttering above the childrens' heads.

They gasped, wide eyed, any previous nervousness vanishing at what was probably the first entertaining thing they'd seen in days.

Wheeler smiled, casting a few more magical creatures causing the children to giggle as they attempted to grab for them.

As they played, Wheeler casually began to talk. "Hey, did any of you know Phillip and Chester Dovell?"

A few of the kids nodded, still clearly focused on the illusionary creatures.

"Yeah," a little girl said as she reached for the pegasus, her hand moving through it. "We went to school with them last year."

"They used to have one of those," another child said, pointing to Wheeler's wand.

"Do you know where they are now?" Wheeler asked.

"Nope," the pegasus girl replied, sticking her hand through the illusion yet again. "They went away. My mommy said it was 'cause they wandered too close to the woods."

"The woods?" Wheeler repeated, arching a brow. "What's in the woods?"

"Wolves," a voice said icily from behind him. Wheeler spun around, nearly knocking into the grim-faced school teacher standing there. She was lanky and pale, dressed in a black dress with a collar so high it nearly reached her chin.

The children tensed when they saw her, their giggles and smiles dying at their lips.

Wheeler swallowed hard. "Wolves?"

"Yes," the teacher said, her expression cold. "The forest is filled with them. It's very dangerous."

"Have others gone missing there?" Wheeler asked slowly.

"Wolves are wicked creatures." Her voice was tight, making a point not to answer the question. She glanced to Wheeler's wand, her mouth drawing into a thin line. "You should put that away." Her gaze darted around the empty streets. "You never know who's watching these days."

Quickly, Wheeler lowered his wand, stuffing it back into his bag as the illusions faded away into the air like smoke.

"Come now, children," the teacher said. "Your parents will be worried if you're not home soon." As they scurried off, the teacher turned back to face Wheeler. "Listen to me, young witch, you must stay away from the forest." Her gaze bore into him, her expression unreadable. "Less the wolves devour you as well."

With her words still hanging heavy in the air, she slipped back inside the school house, slamming the door shut behind her.