Mulock Gets Pissed Off

The changeling bounded up onto the stage beside the announcer, his gaze gleaming wickedly.

"So," Mulock said, "this was your plan all along. To lure me here?"

"Of course," the changeling grinned. He spoke loudly, clearly putting on a show for the crowd to prove his brilliance. "I'm no fool. Obviously you would figure out I was a fake in no time at all. The two of you are practically inseparable." He crossed his arms, looking infuriatingly smug. "The only way for things to work was to remove you as well. Luckily the trolls were quite excited at the prospect of trying demon meat for the first time. Though, if you ask me, I think it's a waste of...well, all of that." As he spoke, the changeling reached through bars, gently dragging a finger across Mulock's cheek. "You really are a beauty, little demon," he murmured. "I'm sorry it has to end this way. I'd actually grown quite attached after watching you for so long."

"I should have killed you while I had the chance," Mulock replied flatly.

"Oh, come now, we both know you could never do it." The changeling laughed coldly. "Not as long as I have his face."

With those words, he slid away from the cage, his hands slipping into his pockets as the announcer moved into position to resume the auction.

"Farewell, demon," the changeling called, beginning to descend the stairs. "Thanks for choking me. Trust me, I really enjoyed it."

"And thank you," Mulock said with a smirk, "for providing me with these wonderful restraints."

The changeling paused, slowly turning to glance back over his shoulder. "You into that?"

"The restraints themselves, not particularly," the demon replied with a shrug. "But the iron they're made of...now that I enjoy."

A few sounds of confusion came from the crowd.

"The hell are you talking about?" the changeling asked sharply.

"You said earlier that you were no fool," Mulock mused. "So then obviously you must know that the melting point of iron is 2,800 degrees." Now the demon was the one with the wicked smile on his face. "Thanks for your little rant. It gave me just enough time for my fire to reach the right temperature." The second the words left his lips, his hands burst free, purple flames spilling from his palms as liquid metal dripped down his wrists. Mulock could at least give hell one point in its favor. Demons didn't burn.

He melted the cage bars next, gracefully stepping out onto the stage.

"Now," the demon said icily, "I'd like my fucking human back."

"Not so fast," the changeling called, stepping in front of him as an unnerving new wave of confidence spread across his features. "You've been able to free yourself and it's unlikely we'll be able to stop you given your powers." His face twisted into a cold smile. "But don't think I don't know the rules. You can't use them to protect a human."

Mulock froze, a small stab of panic digging into his gut. His reaction was brief but the changeling caught it instantly, his smile growing. "Got you," he whispered, his voice disgustingly smug. He moved over to Wheeler's cage, wrapping a hand around the bars.

"I wonder how he's going to die?" he practically purred. "Will they rip him limb from limb? Or maybe they'll slowly peel off his skin before even touching his flesh."

A mad, desperate anger had taken hold of Mulock and the changeling could clearly see it, enjoying pushing the demon closer and closer to the edge with every taunt.

"Maybe," the changeling murmured, "they'll have some fun with him first." He slipped his fingers through the bars, knotting a hand in Wheeler's hair as he yanked his face up, forcing Mulock to look at his blank expression. "Tell me, when his death inevitably comes, will you abandon him, or will you just stand there helplessly and watch?" He let out a low, icy laugh. "It's rather funny, isn't it? This little human means the world to you and yet you're completely powerless to save him."

Those final words were all it took.

Mulock snapped.

He hadn't even realized he'd done it, tendrils of flames exploding from him like a bomb.

The changeling recognized his mistake instantly. A look of horrified panic came over his face before he was flung against the wall like a rag-doll. The flames ripped through the market, destroying everything in their wake as the trolls screamed in terror.

Mulock had fucked up. He'd broken a major rule and soon he'd be punished for it.

But it was already far too late for regrets.

He looked out over the destruction. The market was in shambles but the trolls were alive, still screaming and running in panic from the violent flames.

Mulock wanted to kill them. He wanted to make each and every one of them suffer horribly the same way Wheeler would've.

But if Wheeler found out Mulock had killed them for him, it would break his heart. Just the thought of hurting Wheeler like that was so horrible it made the demon want to vomit.

Sighing heavily, he allowed the flames to calm, slowly fizzling out into wisps of smoke.

"I've spared your lives," he said coldly, his deep voice practically booming throughout the cavern. "But if even a single one of you tries to stop me...that will immediately change."

The cavern was dead silent, no one daring to move a muscle as Mulock walked across the stage. They watched him, terrified and trembling, finally seeing him for the monster he truly was.

As he passed the announcer, Mulock ripped the ring of keys from his belt. There was only one key large enough for the lock and Mulock quickly removed it, opening the cage with a sharp click.

The demon reached out, carefully removing the collar from Wheeler's throat. The sight of how red and bruised his skin was beneath made Mulock's stomach turn. Slowly he leaned forward, gently scooping Wheeler up into his arms.

"Alright," Mulock murmured softly, "let's go home."

The trolls watched in silence, parting to let him through as the demon made his way out of the smoking remains of their market, cradling his human in his arms.