A Dance With a Friend

Moonlight flooded the garden, casting everything in a pale blue glow. The warm summer night air felt so still compared to the stuffiness of the ballroom, the only sounds the soft hum of crickets mixed with the whisper of music coming from the estate.

Wheeler scanned the garden, finding no sign of the demon in sight. A small gazebo made of white marble stood at its center, vines and roses curling up it, draping themselves down over the sides of its roof.

"Aren't you on courting duty, lover boy?"

With a start, Wheeler looked up, his eyes widening in surprise to find Mulock perched on the gazebo's roof, one leg lazily propped up under his arm.

"Actually, I've just been excused," Wheeler said with a smile.

"How'd it go?"

"Uh..." Wheeler's gaze flickered to the ground. "Surprisingly well considering I accidentally opened with a bad accent."

A wicked grin pulled at Mulock's lips. "No way? You actually did one?"

"I didn't mean to," Wheeler stammered. "I just got nervous."

Mulock scooched forward, letting his legs dangle from the gazebo's roof. "Do it for me."

"No, it's waaaaay too awful," Wheeler mumbled, burying his face in his hands. "I somehow managed to be embarrassing literally every second I was in there. I didn't even know that was possible." He sighed heavily. "I hope your night went better than mine."

"It's been pretty quiet. Although..." Mulock smirked. "One couple wandered out here and I started throwing rocks at them."

"You did what?" Wheeler gasped.

"I threw rocks at them--"

"I heard you the first time! I'm asking why you would even do that?"

Mulock shrugged. "Because it was funny."

"Not for them!"

"Exactly. That's the point." The demon gracefully leapt down from his perch, landing in front of Wheeler with ease. "So, what brings you out here? Party too much for you?"

"A little," Wheeler admitted. "But um...there was actually another reason."

"Which is?"

"You promised me a dance."

The demon groaned. "Shit. I thought you'd forget about that."

Wheeler shook his head. "Nope. And you promised."

"Ugh, fine. But I'm leading this time." Mulock reached forward as he said this, slowly slipping his hand over Wheeler's.

Wheeler had been looking forward to this all night, but all of a sudden he felt strangely nervous as he moved his hand to the demon's shoulder.

He felt Mulock absently place his own hand on his back, the action causing Wheeler to flush despite himself. The gentle stir of music still swept through the garden, making it easy for them to find their rhythm. Mulock's movements were graceful and precise, his gaze never leaving Wheeler's as they danced. By some miraculous feat, Wheeler somehow managed to match him step for step, letting the demon's movements guide his own.

"I'm surprised," Mulock murmured. "You aren't tripping over your own feet."

"Well," Wheeler said softly, "I had an excellent teacher."

"Really?" The demon smirked, pulling Wheeler closer. "You'll have to convey to him my deepest gratitude." The action made Wheeler's breath catch, his heart stumbling over its own rhythm.

Suddenly Wheeler became painfully aware of just how close they were. His cheeks instantly began to burn, a horribly familiar heat rising up the back of his neck. He could practically feel the gentle rise and fall of Mulock's chest, the demon's face only a breath from his.

Were they supposed to be dancing this closely?

A warm breeze stirred through the garden now, playing with Mulock's hair. The moonlight seemed caught within it, beaming down on him, causing the demon to practically glow.

God, Mulock really was unspeakably beautiful.

He was still staring back at Wheeler, those unreadable eyes glowing a rich purple in the darkness as his lips parted slightly. It was a mindless action but the sight of it made Wheeler's heart take off racing, pounding so violently he was afraid Mulock could hear it.

The demon had always caused these strange and horribly confusing swells of emotions in Wheeler. Despite this, they'd always been vague, just feelings, impossible to decipher.

But now, in this moment, Wheeler knew exactly what he wanted with almost an overwhelming amount of clarity.

He wanted to kiss him.

No. He wanted more than that.

He wanted to hold his hand. He wanted to make him tea and kiss his forehead when he delivered it. He wanted to take him in his arms and tell him just how much he adored him.

Wheeler was thankfully jerked from these thoughts when Mulock suddenly spoke.

"Everything alright?" the demon mused. "You've gotten strangely quiet."

"Oh," Wheeler stammered. "Uh...sorry. I was um...I was just thinking about how warm it is tonight."

Wheeler couldn't tell him.

Hell, he could never tell him. Mully would hate him. And now the realization of how bad this was truly hit him. Wheeler's throat felt dry, his nerves clawing at his throat.

God, if he was going to be stupid enough to have a crush, why couldn't it have been on literally anyone else?