Emeric's Birthday Nightmare

"I'd say you've outdone yourself, Brother, but even I can't seem to fathom what the actual fuck this is," Avery said, his gaze flitting about the party in disgust.

Emeric had outdone himself, alright. This stupid birthday party felt like the only thing left that was still in his control. The prince had desperately thrown in everything he could think of to guarantee Wheeler would be miserable attending it.

He'd had the walls lined with countless animal heads, many of Emeric's own hunting trophies mixed among them. Displayed above him was one of his greatest kills. A massive unicorn head protruded directly above his own, its glassy eyes staring blankly ahead.

Women dressed in translucent silks made their way across the hall, carrying golden plates covered with meats. Emeric had made a point to have a good number of them stacked high with toad legs.

Brightly colored silks were draped from the ballroom's ceiling, dipping and spilling down onto the floor amongst the partygoers.

To make it abundantly clear who was a man and who was still just a boy, Emeric had commissioned a throne for himself, made of gold and lined with fur, its arms curving to look like the claws of a lion. Surrounding him were beautiful dancers covered in jewelry, bells, and little else. They giggled and swayed to the music of the oud, tambourine, and drums, their bells lightly ringing through the air around him.

"You know, this is bloody disgusting," Avery muttered as a scantily clad dancer brushed past him, climbing into Emeric's lap. "Even for you."

"Seems like it was all worth it," Emeric replied, his gaze seering into Wheeler who'd just entered the crowded chamber.

As he'd anticipated, his brother instantly paled, looking nearly ready to vomit at the sight around him. Wheeler attempted to avert his gaze from the trophy covered walls, staring blankly down at his feet as he walked. With his eyes downcast, he immediately slammed directly into a servant, the well-meaning girl proceeding to shove a tray of toad's legs in his face, asking brightly if he'd like one. Emeric smirked as Wheeler squirmed, frantically shaking his head.

"So this is how you want to spend your twenty-ninth birthday?" Avery asked dryly. "Torturing a teenager?"

"He's nearly twenty."

"Yeah, and compared to us he's still a fucking kid. What the hell is wrong with you?"

Emeric's lip curled, shooting him a venomous glare. "Fuck off, Avery."

"Gladly," his brother retorted.

The sound of bells jingled as the dancers turned to watch him storm off. It was no shock Avery immediately approached Wheeler, joining his small entourage of the other princes and those two advisors. The sight of them doting on Wheeler like some beaten puppy made Emeric want to vomit.

The sound of trumpets rang out, the room abruptly falling silent as the Grand Emperor appeared at the top of the chamber's stairs, a line of guards behind him. Everyone immediately bowed, keeping their heads lowered in respect until he spoke.

His father's gaze swept across the party, his expression unreadable as his mouth pressed into a thin line. Then, at last, his voice boomed across the massive ballroom. "It seems my beloved eldest son truly outdid himself arranging tonight's festivities."

His gaze flickered to Emeric who flashed his father a smile. The expression was not returned.

"I don't want to hold you long," the emperor continued, making no move to descend the stairs into the party itself. "But I have an extremely important announcement I'd like to make." The Grand Emperor's attention fell to his youngest son, the boy's gaze still downcast. "Wheeler, do you mind stepping forward?"

Wheeler gave a little bow, scrambling to stand before his father. The emperor's expression warmed as he did, a smile finally brimming his lips.

"As you all know, tonight we celebrate not only my dear Emeric, but my youngest, as well."

Wheeler squirmed, clearly uncomfortable with everyone's attention now fixed on him.

"A little over a year ago, I had no idea I had a seventh son. Now, I don't think I could ever return to a life without him. He came from nothing, yet in only a few short years he's made his way all the way to the top and into not only my heart, but countless others' as well."

It took everything in Emeric not to gag at the disgustingly sentimental statement.

"I see myself in Wheeler a great deal" the emperor continued. "This may come as a shock, but in my youth I was the runt of my family. I was sickly and weak, far inferior to my siblings. I wasn't even to be considered a potential heir to the throne. Yet, like my dearest Wheeler, this simply drove me to work harder. I trained and honed my powers until I became a force to be reckoned with. Because of my struggle, I was able to become the glorious leader I am today. Which is why..." the emperor slowly bowed his head, causing a ripple of surprise to sweep through the ballroom at the unprecedented action. "He's the only one who can carry on my legacy as Grand Emperor. I'm here to formally announce that from this day forward, Wheeler is to be my heir."

The statement brought Emeric's world to a screeching halt. He wasn't the only one, gasps and sounds of shock echoing around him.

This couldn't be happening.

Emeric felt like the world was collapsing out from under him, like he was being dragged underwater by the sea that was Wheeler Trevil with his father holding his head under.

He'd begun hyperventilating, his chest rising and falling rapidly despite the fact that it felt like no air was entering his lungs.

Wheeler's eyes were wide, looking panicked. Clearly he didn't want this either, which seemed to be the only thing the brothers actually had in common.

Emeric knew his father loved Wheeler, but it was glaringly obvious he wasn't suited for governing. He was a pushover, incapable of saying no, and horribly naive - all traits that spelled disaster for a ruler. His father wasn't an idiot. Surely he understood that. He'd been training Emeric for the throne his entire life. Everyone had always known Emeric was going to be the crown prince; his entire identity had been practically built around it.

His father was aware Emeric was the superior choice. So then why...

Why choose him?

Emeric hadn't shed tears since early childhood but he felt the threat of them now, hot and angry, burning at the corners of his eyes.

"Now," the Grand Emperor said with an easy smile. "I planned to stay longer, but I think I'll take my leave. I'm afraid this kind of party is..." his gaze flickered to Emeric, "not really my taste."