The Grand Emperor

"Well, gentlemen and toad," Priscilla grinned, slinging one arm over Wheeler's shoulder and the other around a reluctant Mulock, "congratulations to us for surviving our first year at the academy!"

"Which is a goddamn miracle considering a certain someone's studying habits," Mulock muttered.

"Hey!" Priscilla snapped. "Might I remind you I wouldn't have survived, period, if another certain someone had actually succeeded in murdering me!"

"Let's just hope the next person who tries has better luck."

"God, you're such an asshole," Priscilla grumbled. " I can't believe we're even friends."

The demon grimaced. "Ew, don't use the f word."

"Hey! Look guys! Someone just gave me a flag!" Their attention immediately snapped to Wheeler like two frantic parents.

The boy was currently staring down at the tiny purple flag he now held. There were countless flags like it scattered throughout the audience packing the arena, all eager to watch the second year tournaments.

"Oh yeah," Priscilla said with a grin. "People usually hand those out to support their favorite students."

Wheeler turned the flag over in his hand, revealing a large RK painted in yellow on the back.

"RK," Priscilla murmured, thinking for a moment. "That probably stands for Richie Kingston. As long as he does well at the tournament, he's sure to be recruited as a royal mage. Have you ever met him, Wheeler?"

"Nope," Wheeler said, shaking his head. He flashed her a bright smile. "But since someone gave me this awesome flag, I'm gonna make sure to cheer him on!" The boy followed this up by excitedly waving it around.

Mulock shot him a long, blank stare.

Wheeler thought for a moment. "Hmm, maybe I should do some kinda cheer. Like um...Richie, Richie he's our man! If he can't win this, no one can!"

Mulock proceeded to face palm. "Wheeler," he muttered through gritted teeth. "I will literally drag you out of this arena and all the way back to the hotel if you ever do that again."

Priscilla looked at the flag now, smiling to herself. "We must have passed out at least a hundred of these for Peter when he participated in the tournament. My mother gave one to practically every person who passed by."

"Oh! Speaking of, how is your brother?" Wheeler asked eagerly.

Priscilla hesitated a moment. "Um...actually, I never got to see him." Her gaze flickered to the ground. "I waited for a few hours until eventually one of his assistants showed up and said he was too busy to see me."

"Oh, I'm so sorry," Wheeler said softly.

Priscilla shook her head, smiling despite the fact that it looked rather forced. "Oh no, it's fine. He's an imperial magician, after all. It was stupid of me to think he wouldn't be swamped with work all day."

"But still," Wheeler murmured, "you were really looking forward to it..."

"Wheeler," Priscilla said, her voice tight through her smile. "Like I said, it's fine. Besides, he's coming home for the annual Packwood ball." Her face genuinely lit up now. "You two are still planning to stay at our estate this summer, right? If you are, then you'll finally get to meet him."

"Yeah!" Wheeler cheered. "Oh...that is as long as you still don't mind hosting us..."

"Of course," Priscilla replied with a laugh. "I don't really have any friends at home."