Recruitment

Frances's face was ashen when she finally emerged from Peter's chambers. A few moments later the other knights who'd accompanied her slipped from the room as well, expressions of horror and shock plastered to their faces.

"How could the emperor do something like this?" Frances breathed, pressing her back against the wall to steady herself.

"Peter is one of the kindest and brightest people I know," another whispered hoarsely. "To see him reduced to this. It's....it's..."

"Disgusting," a third choked. "The Grand Emperor is a monster."

"Now that you've seen what he's capable of, you must understand why it's vital we stop him," Priscilla said, Mulock and Wheeler at either side. She let out a deep exhale. "So...will you join us?"

The knights exchanged a series of nervous glances, an uncomfortable silence falling between them.

Priscilla's heart sank, dread pooling in the pit of her stomach that bringing them here had all been for nothing.

At last, however, Frances broke the silence. "When I became a knight," she began slowly, "I made a vow to wield my sword with dignity and honor, fighting to protect my fellow countrymen no matter the cost. How can I live with myself if I continue to support an emperor who murders those we promised to protect?" She turned to Wheeler, bending into a bow. "Your Majesty...you have my word that I will do everything in my power to fight him alongside you."

Silence followed.

And then a second knight hesitently stepped forward. "You have my word as well. I will not serve a murderer."

"Me neither," another knight joined in.

"Nor will I!" called another.

At last, a flood of voices erupted through the chamber in agreement.

Frances reached out, clasping Priscilla's hands in her own. The action caused the young mage's heart to leap into her throat, a flush blooming across her cheeks, despite herself.

"Miss Priscilla," Frances said firmly, "I promise that your brother will be avenged."

"And I promise," Priscilla breathed, "that together we'll guarantee no one suffers the same fate ever again."

"Well then," Frances mused, offering her a soft smile. "it seems the rebellion has officially begun."

***

A map of the empire had been laid out across the table they were currently crowded around. Wheeler stood at the head, Priscilla and Mulock at either shoulder. Across from them was Frances, the growing number of knights and magicians they'd recruited watching intently as they planned their next moves.

"The whisper campaign is working wonders," Frances stated. "The rumors about the emperor's actions are already starting to spread across the empire."

"That means we need to start pushing further," Mulock said, stepping forward. "It's going to take more than a few rumors for the noble families to join us. However, if we can at least win a handful of them over, it will further prove to the empire that our claims are legitimate."

"So," Frances said, crossing her arms, "what do you propose we do to entice them?"

"Plant the suggestion that their children are in danger," Mulock replied without missing a beat.

The words caused a ripple of surprise to pass through the room.

Mulock smiled thinly. "Allow me to elaborate. I think it's safe to assume that the Imperial Academy of Magic is in league with the emperor. Professor Milton Slengeborn was directly carrying out his orders in the Icy Mountains, and it's no secret he's close with the headmistress. It makes sense that the academy would track their most promising students in order to sacrifice them up to the emperor as Royal Mages. Most noble families enroll their magic-user children in the academy. With their own heirs at stake, I've no doubt they'll switch their loyalty to the crown prince once they learn the truth."

"And when they do, it will confirm to their people that the rumors are true," Frances breathed. "Mulock, you're a genius."

Mulock smirked. "So I've been told."

"We'll start implementing these new rumors as soon as possible," Wheeler said with a nod. "To do so, we'll begin slipping our followers into every party, ball, or banquet we can to start spreading this information to the nobles' inner circles."

The answer of, "Yes, Your Majesty," echoed around the table.

"The rest of you will continue your work visiting taverns and public gatherings," Wheeler continued. "Building up anger among the townsfolk is still vital--"

Wheeler was cut off by a loud pounding at the door.

"We're in a meeting," Mulock called flatly. "So whatever this is better be pretty fucking important."

"It's an emergency, sir," a servant's voice came frantically from the other side of the door.

"What's going on?" Priscilla asked, her voice tight with anxiety as nervous glances were exchanged around the table.

"A carriage has been spotted approaching the estate!"

"And?" Mulock asked, crossing his arms impatiently.

"It belongs to the Grand Emperor."

Sounds of horror rippled through the room before an explosion of panicked chaos ensued. Some frantically grabbed to hide maps and papers, while others dashed towards the door, struggling to push their way through.

"Make way," Frances called as several knights swarmed behind Wheeler. "We need to get His Majesty to safety at once."

Their fellow rebels waited just long enough for them to pass before bursting through the door themselves, nearly crushing the poor servant who'd delivered the message.

"Shit," Mulock muttered as he and Priscilla frantically elbowed their way through the chaos to follow. "This isn't fucking good."