CH.3' Break

The knocking of the door threw my thoughts away as I was expecting the nurse but Adler walked in instead. I felt chills run through the course of my body as he entered the room quietly and gave me a soft smile.

"I stayed outside your room while you slept," He gently closed the door and pulled a chair over. "I didn't want to leave you alone." Adler muttered quietly.

"I appreciate that," I tried to sit up but the stitches were sore and my back was in agony. "Could you help me?" I asked hesitantly, suddenly rethinking as to why I asked for help.

"Of course." His eyes pierced right through me but his atmosphere was comforting. I felt warm, exposed, but secure and comfortable. Everything Stitch said rang through my ears. How could such a gentleman also be the hell of someone's life?

Adler helped me shift up a bit more so I felt comfortable to talk. My stomach was sore, my legs had been aching. My head and my back were the biggest pain. I was a walking mess.

I pulled the blanket over my cold legs and sighed. The silence filled the room as I shifted slowly to pull the blanket up more, but failing once Adler had hesitantly pulled it up for me.

"I never thought I'd make it out of there alive." I spoke.

"Bell, you're lucky you are even moving your legs right now. That knife seemed to be lodged pretty deep." He raised an eyebrow.

I sighed even more and groaned at the sharp pain that unexpectedly hit me hard in the stomach and got worse by the second.

"Fuck, this hurts badly." I gripped onto the side of the bed and a tear slipped from my eye. I was normally a hard ass, and took pain pretty well, but fuck it felt like someone tearing into me.

"Hang on, lift your gown." Adler kicked he chair back and gripped my gown.

"Fuck no." I replied, snapping his hand away.

"Bell, lift your hospital gown right now!" He groaned with a stern voice that gave me the chills.

I looked down to see a pool of red on my hospital gown and the wound was open. I immediately lifted it while Adler put pressure on it and pressed the nurse button.

"You've burst a stitch or two," Adler sounded pissed off. "Be careful, Bell. I mean it."

A nurse ran in to see the blood all over Adler's hands and my pale face. I felt woozy, like I was about to pass out with the amount of blood that was pooling everywhere. You'd think being a specialist in sniping, well, I'd be used to it, but I wasn't, clearly.

"Excuse me sir, you need to leave." Another nurse rushed in, followed by another one.

I felt so sick and dizzy in the head, the blood seemed like a lot but maybe it wasn't. Nurses were rushing around me checking my blood pressure and my heart rate along with stress levels and tox screens.

"Adler! Please stay outside, I don't want to be alone." I almost cried as the pain was becoming unbearable.

"I'm right outside, Bell. I promise you, I'm not leaving."

My head felt light and soon enough I had many nurses holding bandages to my wound. "You're lucky if this isn't infected Miss Bell. Lay back," The nurse was called Dannie, she had a welcoming smile and I felt at ease with her being around. The pain was unbearable, almost a burning in the pit of my stomach.

"This looks rough. Leo, come here a second,"

The male nurse came over with a suture kit and a nervous smile. The bleeding had been put at ease quick enough and Leo stitched me back up. "Now, Bell, you need to take it easy. No strong movements, no fast movements either. You'll need a blood transfusion too,"

I rolled my eyes and sighed, feeling sick again. "We'll be back with blood samples since we are afraid it's infected. Looking at it now, it looks okay but we need to make sure."

I nodded, "Thank you so much. Can you ask Russell to come in please?"

"Of course. Although I think he is cleaning your blood off of him right now but if I pass him, I'll tell him you're okay to see."

I said thank you again and the nurses left. A small knock at the door interrupted the tense silence and Adler walked in through the door with a charming smile.

"I was worried about you, Bell," He came over to my side and gripped my hand in his leather gloves.

"No more moving about, seriously."

I shook off a nervous laugh as he stared me down with eyes that looked devilish. Eyes that looked like he'd seen everything bad and hurtful.

"I promise you I'll take it easy." I answered him back and he nodded in agreement.

The air was still tense, cutting edge. I was worried that he'd try to kill me but at the same time I didn't get that impression. I took my hand out of his grip and he leaned back on the chair.

"Hudson wants to take you on, Bell. As far as I'm aware, half the country wants you."

I shook my head in disbelief, "I have been alone for many years, Adler. He took me in and looked after me when I was alone and nearly dead. I'd worked alone for a long time, a very long time." I laughed.

"Every organisation in the world wants you as a specialist due to your sniping and battlefield skills."

"No, that can't be right," I took a sip of water from the small cup in front of me. "Yes I have those skills, yes I'm aware that a lot of people want me on their team but, this war Adler, is a tough one. I'm on no ones side."

He sat up and crossed his leg over the other one. Adler gazed into my eyes and I felt my legs tremble by the smell of cuban tobacco.

"Yes, Bell, but we want you. You're perfect for our team and you've already made an impression on Mason and Woods. Hudson is a tough fucker but you'll break through to him someday."

My mind split into a million different places. What he said was right, I could be protected by them and work up my skill more. I missed the feel of a sniper, the heavy metal on my skin, figuring out where the bullet went and where it hit them, the physics and the deep breath in to steady yourself.

"Fuck, Adler."

"What is it, Bell?"

"Tell Hudson to get his ass over here."

Adler drove me crazy, his eyes pierced through me with compassion and beauty. He was handsome and had the manners of a gentleman. Was Stitch overreacting?