So, This Is It? (One Shot)

~Kyoya POV~

I sat in my study as I worked on a proposal for work. We were to be adding a new wing to the hospital and it would shut down half the building during the time of construction.

“Kyo-kun, you should come eat dinner.” Zero murmured from the door way. I waved him off and kept working. This needed to be finished before tomorrow. I had wasted more than enough time when I should’ve been working on it.

I heard him sigh and leave the room. I leaned back in my chair and closed my eyes. A few seconds later, he came back into the room. I peaked my eye open and saw him carrying a glass of what was either apple juice or gin. I didn’t particularly care, to be honest.

He stood behind me and took a sip of it, looking down at me. “Don’t bring that over here. You know how clumsy you can be. I don’t want you spilling it on my computer. I’m almost done with this.” I said, sitting up again.

“D… Does that mean you’ll come to dinner soon…?” he asked, his voice quiet. I shrugged quickly, focusing on the screen. “Just eat without me. It’s fine.” I said, typing away. I needed to finish this.

What happened next was either on purpose or on purpose, there’s no way around it.

Zero sat his glass down next to the computer and it was somehow knocked over. Whatever was in the glass spilled all over the computer, causing the screen to go black and the laptop to start sparking.

 I heard him mutter a quiet ‘oops’ before he ran off to get a towel. I sat there for a second, staring at the computer. There was no way I could get this fixed tonight and it would be almost impossible to start over from scratch.

It would be late.

I hate late.

I snatched the towel from him and glared at him. “Get out.” I said, looking into his eyes. “I… I was just trying to help…” he stuttered, looking at the computer. “I… I’ll get it fixed. Don’t worry.” He reached for the computer and I snapped. Maybe it was the stress, maybe it’s because he didn’t listen to me, or maybe it was the lack of sleep. I don’t know. But I lost it.

I had had enough.

“Why can’t you just listen to me for once in your pathetic life?! I told you not to bring it over here and what do you do? You bring it anyways! You can’t fix this computer! It’s completely fired thanks to your idiocy. Jesus, what’s wrong with you? Is it that fucking hard to follow directions? Or can you not hear!? God. Just get the fuck out of my study.”

“K… Kyoya I’m sorry. I didn’t…” I cut him off. “Of course you didn’t mean to! I mean, why else would you come in here other than to sabotage my work, huh? God, just get lost already.”

“I… I just wanted…” he said, looking down at the floor. “I SAID GET LOST!” I screamed, making him jump back from me and move towards the door. I grabbed the now empty glass and threw it at the wall by his head, causing it to shatter. He covered his head and shrunk down to the floor.

I stared at him. “You’re lucky I missed. Now get out! You’ve already ruined my job, what else are you going to ruin!?”

I’ll admit, I don’t know what the Hell I was thinking in those moments, but I kept up with it.

“God, you’re a serious waste of space. Just get lost already.” I mumbled, turning back to the broken computer. “You can’t do anything right.”

The room was quiet. I half expected to hear Zero crying, to hear him calling me mean or arguing back with me.

This isn’t the first time we’ve argued like this. I mean, it’s the first time I’ve said most of those things. But it’s the first he hasn’t said anything.

I looked back at him and I frowned.

There he was, sitting still on the floor, shaking with broken glass around his feet. I sighed and shook my head, standing up. “Zero, get up.” He didn’t move. “You’re going to get hurt. Move so I can sweep it up.”

Again, he didn’t move.

“I’m sorry I ruined your work.” He said, standing up shakily. I reached out to steady him and he moved away. I wasn’t surprised. He was more than likely upset with me like I was with him.

“Just move so I can sweep up this mess.” I said, offering my hand. I had planned to pull him over the glass but he declined, jumping over it instead.

He walked out, leaving the door open. I followed him silently and, for the first time that day, was speechless.

The hallway glowed a sickly pink, almost like Pepto-Bismol and smelled like roses. Zero walked to the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

I made my way to the living room and stopped. Steak, chocolate covered strawberries, champagne, a blanket, and a picnic basket sat out on the living room floor. I frowned.

“What’s this for?” I yelled, walking around it. Light pink roses were on the blanket, each one with a piece of paper tied to it. “Zero! What is all of this?!” I yelled again, waiting for an answer.

“Happy Valentine’s Day.” I heard him say, his voice barely above a whisper. “You were so wrapped up in work that you missed it, three days ago. I figured I could do this, since you wouldn’t have to leave the house and after you could go straight back to work. But… But I can’t do anything right. I even messed this up. Surprising right.” His voice broke, making me look over at him.

In one hand he had his jacket, in the other he had a suit case.

“Where are you going?” I asked him, staring him down. “I’m getting lost, like you wanted.” He said, walking towards the door. “I can’t do this anymore, Kyoya… We’re fighting all the time now. You’re never here and when you are, you’re working. There’s never any time for us anymore. And tonight… tonight was the last straw. It’s either me or your work and it seems like you’ve already chosen.” He slipped on his shoes and sat his phone on the table.

“When you decide I’m more important, you know where I’ll be.” And with that, he walked out of the door.

Did I go after him? Of course not, because I’m an idiot.

I just stared at the door. He was leaving.

He was really leaving.

I sat on the couch silently. He left his phone, I can’t call him to come back.

I bit my lip and stared at the floor. Why was I such an asshole? Everything I had said to him started to play in my head and I wondered why he hadn’t left before.

I had called him pathetic, told him to get lost, I even forgot Valentine’s Day. What he said was true, I had put my work in front of him. I always chose it over him.

Memories started to flash in my head of when I had showed up late for dinner with him, or left in the middle of a dinner, or didn’t come home, or came home drunk.

I was the worst. It’s amazing he stayed as long as he did.

And tonight was the last tick on the bomb that was his patience.

I closed my eyes and all I could see was the look in his eyes, vacant and void of any emotion.

I had just single-handedly ruined a 25 year relationship in a matter of minutes.

Way to go Kyoya, that’s gotta be a record.