xvii | war tactics

Monday rolled in, and the Cannibals were sitting at their usual lunch table, since they skipped most of their morning classes before lunch. However, Harvey and Oakley were nowhere to be found. They knew Oakley would most likely be in class, so where the hell was Harvey?

Oakley walked into the cafeteria, a bright smile on her face as she moved closer to the table.

Finn looked up from his phone and raised an eyebrow at her in greeting. "Hey, Oak."

"Hi," she said in response, the grin still present on her face. "This has been the best day ever."

"Why?" Free asked, her face confused.

"Harvey actually attended all of his morning classes today," she excitedly told the group. "I'm proud."

"What?!" Calvin, Free and Finn said in surprise, their expressions all one of shock.

"I know, right?" Oakley replied, her smile never waning.

Speak of the devil and he shall appear. Harvey made his way through the cafeteria, his bag slung over his shoulder for the first time in a week.

"Where were you all morning?" Finn asked, baffled at his friend's appearance.

Harvey shrugged. "Class."

His eyes widened. "All morning?"

He nodded and took a fry from Free's lunch tray. "Yeah, all morning." He also continued to surprise his friends by pulling out a copy of Tennessee Williams' The Glass Menagerie, the required play the English class was designated to read, and skimming through the pages.

"Okay, who are you and what have you done to our friend, Harvey?" Calvin asked, his eyebrows raised up high.

He ran a hand through his hair and shrugged. "I don't know, exactly. But this weekend gave me a new perspective on life that I never saw before."

"Whatever drug he's taken, I want some of it," Free stated, her eyes still wide.

Much to Oakley's disappointment, Harvey froze before closing the book and setting it on the table. "Okay, I think I've lost it a little. I need food to calm myself down before I want world peace."

He stood from his seat and headed towards the lunch line, as his friends watched in bewilderment.

"What the bloody hell just happened?" Finn asked, scratching the back of head.

"I don't know," Calvin said in reply, just as confused as he was.

"It must've been the date on Friday," Oakley said thoughtfully, tapping her chin.

Their heads swiveled. "What date?" They said in unison.

As they said this, Lennon walked towards their table, looking to sit with her teammates as they called her over. With a cruel smirk, Free locked eyes with her.

"Yeah, why don't you traipse your whore ass over to your equally as easy jock friends, slut," she spat, before grinning and facing her table again.

The cafeteria went silent, and all you heard was the chatter of people from the lunch line, oblivious to what just happened.

Lennon's tray dropped from her hands, as her hands flew up to her mouth. She looked as if she wanted to be sick, but no one got a chance to see before she made a dash through the cafeteria doors.

"Free, what the actual fuck." Calvin glared at her, his face slowly turning red from the burning anger within.

Rolling her eyes, she shrugged her shoulders. "No need to thank me, I got rid of her for you, just like all your other one night stands."

"What the hell are you talking about?" He asked her, his glare still burning into her own eyes.

"No need to be coy, I saw her leave your house Saturday morning," she replied, with a smirk. "But isn't it kinda cruel to sleep with your best friend's infatuation?"

Calvin heard enough. He stood up and leaned forward to get in her face. "Free, why don't you shut the fuck up about shit you know nothing about?"

Her eyes went wide as he maneuvered his way out of the seat and raced out the same door Lennon exited through.

Oakley was beyond baffled. "What even-"

"What did I miss?" Harvey crashed into the table, his tray filled with a burger and fries slamming into the table. He glanced around at his friends' faces before repeating his question.

"We were just talking about your alleged date," Finn said, glancing at Free's frozen look of astonishment before back at Harvey, "when Free insulted that girl named Lennon."

"What?" The name Lennon immediately caught his attention. "Insulted? Free, what did you say?"

Free was still frozen, her mind still reeling from Calvin's harsh words. Calvin only had two emotions, high as fuck and normal. Seeing him that angry was almost surreal.

"She called her a slut, and she says Calvin slept with her and saw her leave his house on Saturday morning," Oakley explained quickly, not wanting to anger him too soon.

"Are you fucking serious?" Harvey looked over at her for confirmation. When she nodded her head, he stood up.

"Where are you going?" Finn asked, confusion still etched in his tone. All he was in this short span of ten minutes was confused.

"To find out what happens straight from the horse's mouth," he growled, seething from anger.

Uh oh, Oakley thought as she saw him leave the cafeteria. Things were about to go downhill fast.

-------

a/n: good news! we are officially at the halfway point of this story! woo-hoo!

there are still plenty more chapters to come, and I'm kind of excited because none of my stories have ever been this long so yea

much love,
-rachel.